Table of contents:
- Characteristics of the drug
- Indications and recommendations for use
- Adverse reactions
A considerable number of people, when diagnosing their helminthic invasions, are interested in the question of what drugs can be used to quickly get rid of parasites. The representative of just such anthelmintic drugs of synthetic origin is Akrikhin or, in other words, Mepacrine. We will now talk about the positive properties of this drug, the regimen, indications and contraindications.
- 1 Characteristics of the drug
- 2 Indications and recommendations for use
- 3 Contraindications
- 4 Adverse reactions
- 5 Analogs
Characteristics of the drug
It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that the drug is distinguished by a high level of efficiency in the fight not only against parasitic diseases, but also against pathological conditions resulting from the presence of protozoa in the body.
In our time, this medication is rarely used in practice. This is due to the fact that the drug causes a large number of adverse reactions.
Akrikhin is considered an antiprotozoal drug that has a negative effect on the causative agent of malaria, lamblia and some intestinal parasites. The data of the studies carried out indicate that the agent is endowed with the ability to disrupt the respiratory function of parasites or pathogenic microorganisms, leading to their death and excretion from the body. The positive side is that the composition is active against sexually mature parasites and their eggs. At the same time, there is a decrease in the protective ability of the body.
Indications and recommendations for use
It is recommended to use Mepacrine when diagnosing such pathological processes:
- lupus erythematosus;
- helminthic invasions.
Please note: the treatment regimen is selected separately for each case
- When diagnosing malaria, the drug is prescribed in a dose of 25 to 600 mg - everything will depend on the severity of the disease. The course of treatment should last 4 days.
- With giardiasis for adults, an agent is prescribed at 300 mg per day, and for children, the dose calculation is as follows - 2 mg per kg of weight. Therapeutic therapy should continue for a week.
- With leishmaniasis and lupus erythematosus, the dose per day should be 300 mg. The treatment lasts 5 days.
- When diagnosing helminthic invasions such as teniarinchiasis, diphyllobothriasis, hymenolepiasis, it is recommended to take the medicine only one day in an amount of 800 mg for adults and 150 mg for children. If a dwarf tapeworm is found, then the treatment should continue for 12 days.
As for the treatment of helminthic invasions, it has its own characteristics. Before taking the medicine, a preparatory course of therapy is carried out. It is necessary:
- Adhere to dietary rules and refuse to eat sweets, fatty and salty foods.
- Before taking the medicine, take a saline laxative (preferably before going to bed).
- In the morning of the next day, carry out a cleansing enema and drink the required amount of medicine, washed down with water with sodium bicarbonate.
- After 60 minutes, repeat a cleansing enema prepared with the addition of baking soda.
It is not recommended to use a medication:
- in the presence of individual drug intolerance;
- if you have a history of mental illness;
- while carrying a baby and breastfeeding;
- elderly people;
- with violations of the functional ability of the kidneys;
- with jaundice;
- with diseases of the liver and biliary tract;
- with psoriasis.
Important! During the course of treatment with Akrikhin, it is forbidden to consume alcohol-containing drinks and take any drugs made on the basis of such an active substance as Akrikhin
According to the instructions for the use of Mepacrine, during the course of treatment with this agent, side effects can be observed:
- yellowing of the skin and nail plates (this symptom disappears on its own after the end of the drug intake);
- change in urine color to brown;
- allergic reaction;
- excitement, which will be manifested by hyperactivity of the language and motor character;
- akrikhinovy psychosis - its formation is observed with an overdose of the drug.
Mepacrine has no analogues in structure, but a qualified medical professional will be able to choose another remedy that is similar in its mechanism of action.
The best option in this case is Fenasal, its active ingredient is niclosamide, or Nemozol. These medicinal preparations are effective in combating various helminthic invasions and do not cause such a huge number of adverse reactions compared to Mepacrine.
Before starting treatment and before choosing a drug, it is imperative to consult a doctor for advice, because self-medication can lead to the formation of a large number of complications.