Table of contents:
- Pharmacological characteristics of the drug
- Indications for use
- Side effects
- Application of the drug to animals
- Moments that need attention
Video: Albendazole: Instructions For Use, Release Forms
Albendazole (tablets or suspension) is nowadays considered one of the most popular drugs used to remove parasites from the body and to prevent their appearance. The drug was widely used as a result of the fact that helminthic invasions quite often affect people of all ages, regardless of their status, age and lifestyle. However, when choosing, you must remember that there are a number of contraindications and side effects that you need to remember. Let's talk about the features of this drug in more detail.
1 Pharmacological characteristics of the drug
2 Indications for use
2.1 Recommendations for the use of the medicine
- 3 Contraindications
- 4 Side effects
- 5 Application of the drug to animals
- 6 Points that need attention
Pharmacological characteristics of the drug
Albendazole or Nemozole (its second name) is used to remove various types of parasites. In terms of its structural composition, it has similarities with the drug Mebendazole.
The main effect of the drug is on the suppression of beta-tubulin polymerization, which leads to the death of helminths.
Albendazole leads to:
- blunting the process of glucose breakdown;
- suspension of the production of ATP molecules;
- paralysis of the muscle fibers of the helminth body.
Albendazole (release form) - tablets and suspension. It should be noted that regardless of the form in which the medicine is taken, it has the same therapeutic effect. Once in the human body, the active substance is localized in the digestive tract, and only a small part of it enters the bloodstream. After that, the drug is broken down in the liver, albendazole sulfoxide is released, which has a negative effect on parasites.
Note! To improve the absorption of Albendazole, it is recommended to eat fatty foods.
The maximum concentration of the agent in the body will be observed 2 to 5 hours after ingestion. Half of it is excreted after 10 - 12 hours. If the patient has a history of liver disease, this period will last a little longer.
Indications for use
According to the instructions for use, Albendazole is prescribed in case of diagnosis:
- echinococcosis of the liver and lungs.
Its use is considered to be quite effective when carrying out resection of pathological formations of echinococcal origin.
In addition, the drug is prescribed in case of detection:
- trichocephalosis and other diseases.
Recommendations for the use of the medicine
Almost all medical workers, when detecting a helminthic invasion in one family member, recommend taking the course to all persons who have close contact with him.
Albendazole for children under the age of two is used as follows:
- When diagnosing neurocysticercosis, the amount of the drug is calculated in relation to the child's body weight: for 1 kg, 15 mg of the drug is needed. The course of treatment should last 8 days. If necessary, the therapeutic course must be repeated.
- When ascariasis, enterobiasis or ankylostomiasis is detected, Albendazole 200 is prescribed once. If necessary, the drug is taken again after 21 days.
- If a child is diagnosed with strongyloidosis or cestodosis, the agent must be taken for three days. The dosage per day should be 200 mg.
Albendazole for adults and older children is prescribed as follows:
- In the case of diagnosing neurocysticercosis in a person, the dose is calculated in the ratio of 15 mg per kilogram of body weight, while the intake of the drug is divided by two. The course of treatment should last at least a month.
- In the case of diagnosing echinococcosis, the dosage is practically no different from the previous case, but it is necessary to be treated in courses, their number should be three. The duration of one course is 28 days, the break is 14 days.
- If trichocephalosis, enterobiasis, ascariasis are detected, the drug is taken once, its dose should be 400 mg.
- When giardiasis, cestodosis or strongyloidosis is detected, the daily dose should be 400 mg. The course of such treatment is 3 days.
With toxocariasis, the calculation of the dose will depend on the body weight: if it exceeds 60 kg, the medicine should be taken in an amount of 400 mg, if less - in an amount of 200 mg. Children under the age of fourteen are prescribed Albendazole 10 mg per kilogram of body weight. The course of such treatment will depend on the severity of the course of the disease, its duration can vary from 7 to 14 days
Reviews of people who have used this medicine are only positive: the drug helps very well to cope with parasitic worms.
It is forbidden to use the drug Albendazole to persons:
- with intolerance to the components of the drug;
- suffering from diseases of the retina of the eyeballs;
- with a history of liver disease;
- with problems with hematopoiesis.
According to the results of the studies conducted, it was found that Nemozol has teratogenic activity, therefore, it is contraindicated for women to take during the period of gestation, during breastfeeding.
Despite the fact that the drug is allowed to be used in children, taking it can cause the appearance of such pathological disorders:
- pain in the abdomen;
- nausea and vomiting;
- lack of appetite;
- a decrease in the number of leukocytes in the blood;
- violation of the process of hematopoiesis.
Application of the drug to animals
Quite often, helminths are observed in animals that can become a source of human infection, therefore, pets also need to treat this pathological condition. The drug of choice in veterinary medicine is Albendazole Ultra 10, its dosage and duration of the therapeutic course will depend on what type of pathogen is found and on the type of animal. In any case, a veterinarian should deal with this issue.
Albendazole 10 should not be used during the mating period, for pregnant, weakened and sick animals.
Moments that need attention
It should be noted that in some cases an overdose was observed, which manifested itself in the form of an increase in adverse reactions.
If Nemozol has become the drug of choice for removing parasites in humans, then it is necessary to monitor the state of the blood. It is necessary to take a general blood test before starting treatment and every 14 days of the therapeutic course. In case of leukopenia, the drug should be discontinued.
If helminthic invasion requires the appointment of large doses of the drug, then the patient should be regularly examined by a doctor who will monitor the condition of the liver
Albendazole analogs are:
Please note that albendazole-based drugs may differ in dosage and administration, so they can be replaced only after consulting a doctor.