Table of contents:
- general characteristics
- Description of the parasitic organism
- The manifestation of the disease
- Healing activities
- How to avoid illness
One of the types of parasitic microorganisms is the cucumber tapeworm. It belongs to the class of tapeworms (cestodes). In most cases, animals are infected with this type of parasite. There are few cases of ingestion into the human body. A vegetable such as a cucumber has seeds that in appearance resemble tapeworm segments.
- 1 General characteristics
- 2 Description of the parasitic organism
- 3 Manifestation of the disease
- 4 Treatment measures
- 5 How to avoid illness
The tapeworm belongs to tapeworms, it is localized in the intestinal tract. It is attached to the surface of the intestines using hooks located in the head. It can be up to several meters in length. At the initial stages, its presence in the body does not manifest itself in any way.
The body of the parasite is composed of numerous segments. Each department can separate and go out together with feces or vomit. The more segments, the more eggs the parasitic worm can reproduce.
The tapeworm penetrates the body along with poorly heat-treated meat or poorly washed fruits, vegetables and berries. Contaminated water and soil can also become a source of infection.
The main symptoms include:
- allergic rash, urticaria;
- chills, fever;
- upset stool;
- the addition of nausea or even vomiting;
- weakness, apathy, fatigue;
- drastic weight loss;
- an increased level of eosinophils in the blood.
Treatment consists of two stages: main (taking antihelminthic drugs) and additional (elimination of the consequences of the vital activity of parasites). If the larvae have entered the vital organs (eyes, brain, pancreas) and are not excreted with medication, a decision is made about surgical intervention.
Description of the parasitic organism
Cucumber tapeworm causes the development of a disease such as dipylidiosis. He chooses the small intestine as a habitat. Its life span is no more than a year. The body length of this helminth can reach 60–70 cm. It is attached to the mucous surface using hooks and suction cups. The parasite is capable of producing female and male germ cells. Its carriers are fleas and eaters.
Ripe segments of the cucumber tapeworm, which look like rice grains or cucumber seeds, have cocoons. Eggs develop in them, the average size of which is 0.05 mm. As soon as they become independent and begin to move actively, they enter the environment along with feces.
After going outside, the protective shell of the cocoon breaks, and the eggs become available to the intermediate host - fleas and lice. The larvae enter the digestive system and pass into another form of development - cysticercoid. The final owner is most often a cat or dog. People get infected with these parasites by accident.
A person can become infected if he accidentally swallows segments with cocoons. Within three weeks, they ripen, and a new cycle of parasite development begins. It is at this time that the first symptoms may appear.
The manifestation of the disease
Dipylidiosis in humans appears due to the ingestion of particles of feces from a pet or infected fleas that live in its fur. Most often, such situations can arise in a home where there are preschool children. Cucumber tapeworm can cause the following unpleasant and sometimes dangerous symptoms:
- decreased appetite;
- worried about nausea, especially in the morning, vomiting may join;
- a clear sign is the appearance of abdominal pain, bloating and increased gas formation;
- stool is disturbed in the form of alternating diarrhea and constipation;
- getting into the human body, the parasite causes a constant abundant saliva;
- the skin turns pale;
- there is an itch in the anus;
- the patient becomes irritable, restless, nervous.
The parasite is easily found in the feces of an adult or child. But for this you need to take a stool test several times, with an interval of 1-2 days. Another diagnostic method is a biochemical examination of the blood and ultrasound of the abdominal cavity.
Cucumber tapeworm can cause complications such as inflammation of the intestines, duodenum, the development of cholecystitis, anemia.
If a cucumber tapeworm is found in a person, then in most cases the drug Fenasal or Praziquantel is prescribed. A decision may be made to prescribe other broad-spectrum anthelmintic drugs. The dosage depends on the age, weight and condition of the patient.
- The drug Fenasal is capable of removing helminths. It leads to neuromuscular paralysis of worms. The parasite loses its ability to move, feed and reproduce, resulting in its death. Do not prescribe medication to children under 2 years of age. The tablet should be chewed thoroughly before swallowing. Adults are prescribed 8 tablets per day.
- The drug Praziquantel will help to remove parasites from the body. It is active against adult tapeworms, as well as their larvae. The drug leads to paralysis of the parasite and its further death. Do not prescribe this remedy for children under 4 years old. Prescribe the drug at 40 mg per kg of human body weight. Drink it before or during meals.
If the symptoms of the disease are pronounced, then treatment may include taking other medications.
- No-shpa or another antispasmodic will help relieve pain and spasms.
- Enzyme preparations will help to improve the work of digestion: Creon, Festal, Mezim.
- Prescribe biological products that prevent the development of dysbiosis: Bifiform, Bifidumbacterin.
- Vitamin complexes containing group B and folic acid.
- Means that increase immunity.
Often, an improvement in the condition occurs already the next day after treatment begins. Symptoms decrease or disappear altogether.
It is allowed to be treated with traditional medicine. The parasite is afraid of foods that have a bitter, pungent taste. The most effective recipes include onions, garlic, seeds and pumpkin pulp. You can brew pomegranate peels or medicinal herbs (wormwood, string). Treatment can be accompanied by the use of carrot and beet juice. It is drunk in the morning before eating.
How to avoid illness
To prevent the cucumber tapeworm from entering the body, the main rule is to observe safety measures when in contact with pets and street animals.
- You can't kiss animals.
- After touching or playing with them, wash your hands with soap and water.
- You can not touch street animals.
- Be sure to monitor your pet's health. Timely treat it for worms, carry out preventive deworming.
- Prevent fleas from appearing and get rid of them in time.
- Get vaccinated on time.