Table of contents:
- The reasons for the development of the disease
- Signs of illness
- The main types of parasites
- Fast healing
- Rules for the use of anthelmintics
Video: Worms In A Dog: Symptoms And Treatment Of Parasites
Dog owners often experience pet disease such as helminthiasis. During this disease, the body becomes infected with parasites. They can settle in any internal organ of the animal. Having found the first signs of worms in a dog, you urgently need to contact your veterinarian.
- 1 The reasons for the development of the disease
- 2 Signs of illness
- 3 The main types of parasites
- 4 Fast healing
- 5 Rules for the use of anthelmintics
The reasons for the development of the disease
The appearance of helminthiasis in dogs can be fixed at any age. Small puppies are the hardest to carry the disease. If you do not start treatment on time, then a lethal outcome is possible.
Most pet breeds need a daily walk outside, so getting rid of worms will never be possible. All therapeutic and preventive measures are aimed at reducing the degree of infection and improving the health of the pet.
Worms can enter the body of dogs in several ways:
- while walking, she can drink water from a puddle, lick objects, eat the remains of found products;
- may manifest themselves from insects living in wool (ticks, fleas);
- contact with other infected dogs;
- from an adult female to her puppies.
Signs of illness
In animals, disease is more difficult to understand at an early stage. Therefore, most often the signs become noticeable even when the parasites in the body have thoroughly settled. It is necessary to periodically be examined by a doctor and do all the necessary examinations.
How do you know if your dog has worms? The most common signs that a dog has worms are:
- signs are manifested in the form of lethargy, drowsiness;
- it is possible to determine if a dog has worms by the condition of the coat - it becomes disheveled, loses its shine and smoothness;
- dandruff, eczema appear on the skin;
- disturbances in the digestive tract, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite;
- in the feces of a dog, you can find streaks of blood, worm eggs, larvae and even adults of parasites;
- itching of the anus;
- the belly becomes large, swells up;
- the presence of worms can also be suspected by the fact that the animal is not gaining weight or is losing it, and is lagging behind in physical development.
The main types of parasites
What worms are settled inside the pets, how many species can there be? There are a wide variety of types of worms in dogs. All of them can be divided into three main groups.
- Flat tapeworms (cestodes). They are transmitted from intermediate hosts - lice, fleas and ticks. This type of worm is long in size (length reaches 10 m). The most dangerous type is echinococcus, which, settling in the intestines, cause severe pain. What do worms look like in dogs? In the head part of adults there are hooks with which they attach to the walls of the internal organs.
- Round worms (nematodes). Most often, this type of worm is called ascaris. It is often easily and quickly transmitted to humans. Ascaris can enter the body of an animal from anywhere (grass, earth, dirty hands of the owner). Usually, adult pets tolerate infection with these types of worms easily. Puppies begin to lose weight quickly, develop poorly, lose activity and tire quickly. The worm reaches 8 m in length, has a smooth surface without separate segments.
- There are flukes (trematodes) in the body of dogs. Infection can be through contact with the feces of a sick individual, when eating raw river fish or meat. This small parasite resembles a leaf with suction cups. Dog worms of this type are small - about 5 mm.
Each species chooses its own habitat. All types of worms in dogs most often affect the heart, digestive system, kidneys and subcutaneous layer.
With the appearance of helminthic invasion in dogs, diseases such as ascariasis, echinococcosis, and toxascariasis begin in the intestines. The animal loses weight sharply, appetite is disturbed, there is frequent vomiting, stool disturbance.
There are also lung parasites. How to identify worms of this type? In the case when the worms populate the respiratory system, the animal loses weight, appetite is disturbed. Special symptoms of the presence of this type of helminths are the appearance of cough and hoarse breathing, pneumonia and internal bleeding develop. Only with the help of laboratory examination can pulmonary worms be identified in dogs.
Heartworms settle in the arteries, ventricles of the heart, blood vessels. Fleas or mosquitoes serve as carriers. After a bite, it can take about 6 months, and only after that symptoms appear. Symptoms of worms in a dog in this case will manifest themselves in the form of respiratory failure, shortness of breath. The pet looks tired, apathetic. How dangerous is the condition? If you do not remove worms, pathological changes develop in the cardiac activity, which leads to the death of the pet.
When worms are colonized in dogs, their typical signs appear in the liver and gallbladder. Symptoms are easy to understand: the dog begins to suffer from abdominal pain, refuses to eat, looks lethargic, apathetic. Vomiting, diarrhea join, body temperature rises.
Before answering the question of how to worm a dog, you need to undergo a laboratory examination. Feces, blood, or scrapings can be donated to find out if there is a problem. The choice of a drug depends not only on the type of parasites detected - the age of the individual, its weight, and state of health matter. Treatment also depends on the breed of dog.
The most effective and common drugs include the following list.
- You can remove worms from a dog with the help of Drontal medicine. It is highly effective against many types of parasites. How is the disease treated? The dosage is 1 tablet per 10 kg. There is paralysis of the neuromuscular fibers of the parasites, and they naturally come out.
- You can proglist with the drug Azinox. The remedy is recommended to be given if several types of worms are found in the dog. The medicine has a wide spectrum of action, has a detrimental effect on parasites in any phase of development. Redemption occurs due to paralysis and their further death. Please note that one tablet is designed for 10 kg.
- Vermox. It is used as a treatment and prevention of a large list of helminths. There is a violation of glucose absorption by them. As a result of a lack of nutritional components, parasites die, and excretion is carried out along with feces.
- The Prazicide remedy will help to rid the dog of worms. It has a wide spectrum of anthelmintic action, it is considered a low-hazard drug, therefore, it is prescribed even to small puppies.
- Dirofen. Available in the form of tablets and suspensions. Can get rid of nematodes and cestodes. The dosage is calculated based on the weight of the animal (1 tablet per 1 kg). You can give the agent as a prophylaxis. Due to the destruction of the shell of helminths, they die. It is possible to cure in a short period of time.
How often should dogs be wormed? Deworming of dogs should be done every three months. You can start preventive measures for the first time from two weeks of a puppy's life.
Rules for the use of anthelmintics
How to remove worms from a dog correctly? To get a positive result, the medicine must be taken several times with a short period of time. Many drugs work only against adults of worms, so a repeat of the intake is recommended after two weeks. It is during this time that the adult form grows from the larva.
How to take funds correctly? It is preferable to give in the morning on an empty stomach. It is permissible to mix with your pet's favorite treat. For puppies, you can use the products in the form of a suspension, and grind the tablet and mix with water. The required amount of the substance is drawn into a syringe without a needle and poured into the dog's cheek.
Some medications require additional use of laxatives. 2-3 hours after using the tablet for worms, it is recommended to give the pet adsorbents that reduce the toxic effect of the drug on the body.
After taking the medicine, you need to closely monitor the behavior and condition of the pet. If vomiting and diarrhea appear, you need to urgently contact your veterinarian.
What to do to prevent worms from developing again, and how often do you need to carry out preventive treatment?
- Preventive treatment can help avoid serious health problems for your pet.
- Deworming of dogs must be carried out 2-3 weeks before preventive vaccination. If the animal is infected with parasites, then the immunity weakens, the body may not withstand the vaccine.
- Twice a year it is recommended to take the dog's feces for examination.
- A few days before mating, the dog must be worm-driven.
- Do not feed the animal with raw meat or fish. All food must be placed in a special bowl, not thrown on the floor.
- It is imperative to treat the dog for fleas that carry a certain type of worms.
- A prophylactic individual should not be in contact with other dogs on the street, even domestic dogs.
It is necessary to poison worms in an animal with caution and care. Most drugs have a long list of contraindications. In case of non-compliance with the recommendations, dangerous symptoms of an overdose appear.