Table of contents:
- How cats can get parasites
- Symptoms in the presence of helminths in the animal's body
- What are the antihelminthic drugs for cats?
- How to get your cat to swallow the medicine
- Deworming schemes
- Traditional methods against helminthiasis in cats
- Some preventive measures for helminthiasis
Video: How To Worm A Cat At Home
Worms in pets are quite common. Helminthiasis is most common in cats. The danger of the disease is that the presence of worms in a pet is a great risk to the health of all family members, especially children. Treatment of worms in cats at home helps to avoid the occurrence of worm infestation in households.
- 1 How cats can become infected with parasites
- 2 Symptoms in the presence of helminths in the animal's body
- 3 What are the antihelminthic drugs for cats
- 4 How to get your cat to swallow the medicine
- 5 Deworming regimens
- 6 Folk methods against helminthiasis in cats
- 7 Some preventive measures of helminthiasis
How cats can get parasites
Eggs of helminths are present everywhere, and the cat, which the owners periodically let out for a walk, can pick them up in the grass, soil, eating a piece of any food that it finds. Often, infection occurs during contact with other animals, especially street animals
Often, the owners can give the pet pieces of raw meat or fish to eat, which is absolutely impossible, since these products without heat treatment are direct sources of parasites.
Symptoms in the presence of helminths in the animal's body
Most often, worms in a cat are found already in advanced forms of the disease, when larvae of parasites or even adults are visible during cleaning of the tray. Sometimes the pet is so bad that he starts vomiting, in which worms can also be found.
When a cat is constantly in sight, you can see some oddities in its behavior and condition:
- loose stools, sometimes with blood clots;
- lethargy and weakness, the pet is inactive and not playful;
- lack of appetite or constant hunger;
- swollen and hard belly;
- fast weight loss of a cat;
- absence of stool for up to several days;
- heavy or labored breathing, cough.
Most of these symptoms are attributed by inexperienced owners to temporary malaise or a cold.
If helminthiasis in a pet is still found, it is necessary to immediately begin the therapy prescribed for worms.
What are the antihelminthic drugs for cats?
In veterinary pharmacology, there are many drugs for worms, among which there are toxic and moderately harmful, cheap and expensive.
For very small kittens less than two months old, Prazicide is most often used. This drug is prescribed as a suspension. The taste of Prazicide is sweet, which makes it easier to take - the kitten easily swallows the product. Older pets are usually prescribed tablet medicines - Drontal, Pratel, Azinox, Troncil-K, Kanikvantel.
How to get your cat to swallow the medicine
Each pet has its own character. There are energetic cats, which you just can't “feed” with medicine, but there are calm and obedient cats, for whom taking medicine is not a problem. How to worm a cat at home?
The most common method is to take the animal in your arms, calm it down, comfortably place it on your lap, open the cat's mouth and quickly put the pill on the root of the tongue, close the mouth and hold the lower jaw so that it does not spit out the product, but reflexively swallows it. This technique almost always works.
Another convenient way is to swaddle the animal and, using a syringe without a needle, pour a crushed tablet with water into its mouth.
If you want to protect your animal and your family members from worms, you need to adhere to the following schematic tips.
The first antihelminthic procedures should be carried out for the kitten no later than 3-5 weeks, after two weeks they repeat the same drug. Then the same manipulation is carried out after another two months, and all subsequent times - once every three months.
If you took a pet from the street or from an animal shelter, you must immediately take a course of anthelmintics, even if the cat does not raise any suspicions. During and after treatment, carefully examine the feces in the tray for larvae and worms. Even if the feces are clean, you need to repeat the course in 10-12 days, and if parasites are found, in a week. Then, as it should be - taking an antihelminthic agent once a quarter.
Contraindications to the elimination of helminths in cats are as follows.
- The presence of a concomitant disease in the animal - a viral infection, inflammatory processes.
- Deworming after any surgery or injury. In such cases, it is better to wait for the pet's body to recover completely.
- Pregnancy of the cat, as well as the feeding period.
- The kitten is up to three weeks old.
Traditional methods against helminthiasis in cats
The main advantage in using folk remedies in the fight against worms is the fact that they are less aggressive, non-toxic and easier to tolerate by the animal's body. The disadvantage of this method is that it must be used regularly, which causes a lot of trouble for a person.
The most popular remedy for worms is garlic. In small amounts, crushed, you need to put it in the pet's food for 7-10 days. This method of dealing with helminths should be used at least once a quarter. Often, an adult cat does not really like the taste and smell of garlic, he may simply refuse to feed, so it is best to accustom him to this product from a young age.
Some preventive measures for helminthiasis
Prevention is better than cure - by observing some rules, you can several times reduce the risk of such a nuisance as worms in cats.
- Wash the litter box thoroughly at least once a week. Cleaning should be carried out with a specially designated brush and with the use of disinfectants.
- Give your pet a worm remedy every three months.
- Pay attention to feces.
- Boil cat meat or fish well.
- Make sure that insects, which are carriers of worm eggs, do not get into the animal's food.
- Keep outdoor shoes out of the reach of your pet.