Table of contents:
- What worms can be found in cats
- How drops from worms work
- How to apply drops
- Popular drops for the treatment of cat worms
- What to do in case of poisoning
- Prevention of worms in cats
Video: Drops On The Withers From Worms For Cats: Drugs And Remedies
You can save your pet from worms with the help of special drops. The peculiarity of these drugs is that they are not taken orally, but drip onto the withers. This eliminates the need to give the pet bitter medicines. Worm drops for cats are a convenient option for treating pets.
- 1 What worms can be found in cats
- 2 How drops from worms work
- 3 How to apply drops
- 4 Popular Drops for Treating Cat Worms
- 5 Contraindications
- 6 What to do in case of poisoning
- 7 Prevention of worms in cats
What worms can be found in cats
Most often, cats are affected by the roundworms of the hookworm, which enter the body along with raw meat. These include the following representatives:
- roundworms are thin white worms up to 5 cm long;
- hookworms - small round worms that feed on blood (their size is small - only 2 mm);
- toxascarids harm the liver and grow up to 5 cm.
Cats are also infected with flat tapeworms. Such worms can grow up to 70 cm.Among the tape parasites in cats, they parasitize:
- tapeworms that provoke diphyllobothriasis;
- cucumber tapeworm, which causes dipyldiosis;
- alvecoccus - this worm is small, only 2 mm.
Often, in cats, you can find flukes or trematodes, which outwardly look like thin threads. Their bodies are equipped with suction cups that attach the parasites to the intestinal walls. Parasites of this type are dangerous to health - they destroy the liver and biliary tract.
You can also find in cats:
- pulmonary fluke;
- opisthorchis or cat fluke.
Symptoms of infection do not appear immediately, but begin to progress gradually
How drops from worms work
Drops from worms are no less effective than tablets or suspensions against parasites. Medicines are applied to the withers where the cat cannot lick them off. Within 24 hours, the product will spread over the skin and be absorbed inside. Some drugs remain in the subcutaneous layer, while others are absorbed into the circulatory system.
Metabolic processes help the drug achieve its goal. Helminths begin to absorb the agent that kills them from the inside. Then they are naturally excreted from the body.
The procedure does not cause discomfort in animals. The effect lasts from a month or more. In this way, it is convenient to treat kittens who find it difficult to give medicines in the form of pills.
How to apply drops
Drops for the treatment of worms on the withers are easy to use. They drip onto the withers - the area of the back, which is located between the shoulder blades, where the cat cannot reach with its tongue. It is important to pay attention that the skin in this area is dry, clean and intact. After treatment, the animal must not be washed for 4 days.
The number of drops is calculated based on the weight of the animal. The exact dosage information is in the instructions. An overdose is dangerous: if the pet receives more medicine than necessary, he will be poisoned. The correct dose is easily tolerated by the animal. Side effects are usually not observed.
After the procedure, you need to wash your hands well. It is better not to iron the animal during the day after treatment
Before starting treatment, you must consult with your veterinarian and carefully study the instructions.
Popular drops for the treatment of cat worms
On the shelves of pet stores, there is a wide selection of medicines for worms in cats. The most popular remedies include the following medicines.
- Inspector Total. The medicine is used to eliminate worms and external parasites (fleas, ticks, lice). With this medicine you can get rid of intestinal hookworms. It should not be given to kittens under 7 weeks of age. It is desirable for the cat to weigh more than 1 kg.
- Lawyer. The drug has a wide spectrum of action. With its help, they fight against worms, fleas and ticks. The medicine is not given to weakened animals and those cats whose weight is less than 1 kg.
- Helmintal is prescribed to combat nematodes and cestodoses. The drug is not prescribed for pregnant cats and kittens under 7 weeks of age.
- Stronghold is an effective remedy that allows you to get rid of ascaris and toxocara. The medicine is well absorbed and after half an hour it already penetrates the skin. The death of helminths occurs in two days. The drug is approved for the treatment of pregnant cats and kittens over 6 weeks old.
- Dironet copes with nematodes, cestodes. It is not given to kittens under 2 months old, pregnant and weakened cats.
The drugs are toxic. After the procedure, it is important to rinse your hands well so that not a drop of the product remains on your hands.
It is important to observe safety measures: if there are small children in the family, it is necessary to isolate the pet from them during the treatment
Medicines for worms for cats on the withers are active poisonous substances. They should be given to animals with caution, strictly observing the dosage. At the same time, it is important to observe safety measures ourselves.
Most drugs for worms have similar contraindications - they should not be given:
- kittens under two months old;
- weakened cats;
- pregnant and lactating cats.
Withers medicine can have side effects. In this case, the following reactions are observed in cats:
- increased lacrimation;
- profuse salivation;
- an allergic reaction manifested by a rash on the skin.
If your pet has an unwanted reaction to a drug, stop taking it and, after consulting with your veterinarian, choose another drug.
What to do in case of poisoning
The toxic effect can be caused by both anthelmintic drugs and dead worms, which decompose and poison the animal's body. To avoid poisoning, you can not use several medicines for worms at the same time.
If the cat is poisoned, it may vomit, muscle tremors, pale mucous membranes, weakness.
In case of poisoning with worms, the animal is treated with Gamavit injections, injecting them into the withers subcutaneously. Kittens will need 2 ml, for an adult cat, 5 ml will be needed. You can help the animal with the help of saline, which is injected subcutaneously. If a kitten is sick, you need 20 to 40 ml per dose, depending on the weight, and adult cats need up to 100 ml of the medicine at a time. The procedure should be repeated 3 times a day.
Having provided first aid, the sick animal must be taken to the veterinary clinic, where the intoxication will be removed with the help of a dropper.
Prevention of worms in cats
To prevent worms from reappearing in the cat after treatment, preventive measures must be followed. Antihelminthic drugs should be taken even when there are no obvious symptoms. This is done for preventive purposes. Prevention of helminths is carried out every 3-4 months.
You should also pay attention to the following:
- the pet's diet should not contain raw meat and fish;
- it is better to give the pet boiled water;
- the pet should not be allowed to come into contact with stray cats;
- antihelminthic treatment of trays, scratching posts and other items intended for animal care should be carried out in a timely manner;
- the apartment must be cleaned regularly.
With the help of preventive procedures, you can permanently rid your pet of parasites.