Table of contents:
- Ways of spread of parasites
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Signs of infection
- Drugs for the treatment of the disease
- Preventive actions
Video: Pinworms In Children: Symptoms And Treatment
Pinworms are microorganisms parasitizing inside humans that cause enterobiasis disease. Very often, the disease proceeds without visible symptoms, and only with a strong invasion do symptoms appear. Pinworms in children are most often manifested by severe itching in the anus, but there are other characteristic features of the disease.
- 1 Ways of spread of parasites
- 2 Diagnostics in laboratory
- 3 Signs of infection
- 4 Drugs for the treatment of the disease
- 5 Preventive measures
Ways of spread of parasites
What is enterobiasis? This is helminthiasis caused by nematodes. The causative agent is a small worm that has a gray-white color. Its size is about 1 cm.
How does the developmental cycle of the pinworm take place? The main route of infection is household contact. The eggs of the worms enter the oral cavity. The main localization is observed in the colon of the intestinal tract. The parasite is more active at night, it is at this time that the muscles of the end of the rectum and anus are relaxed.
An adult female helminth crawls out and begins to produce eggs. This whole process is accompanied by severe itching. The caused symptom leads to the fact that the child scratches the anus. Combing the place, he brings the worms under his nails and spreads them to other parts of the body and surrounding objects. Repeated self-infection occurs.
Lack of hygiene leads to the fact that the eggs of the worms get into the mouth. In the intestinal section, larvae begin to appear from the eggs, which after 14 days pass into the adult form of development.
Symptoms and treatment in children of pinworms depends on the degree of infection of the body, on immunity, age and health characteristics in general.
Even the smallest children are affected by the disease. What causes parasites in a newborn organism? In infants, enterobiasis can develop for several reasons.
- The disease can occur already in the womb. Parasites pass through the placenta with the blood. Most anthelmintic drugs cannot be taken during gestation, so you have to be treated with folk methods or not at all.
- Pinworms appear upon contact with a sick person. It is very important to ensure that everyone who picks up the baby is hygienic.
- The appearance of worms is associated with the period of teething, crawling. At this time, the nursing baby begins to explore the world with the help of objects. Worm eggs can be on any item.
What if the child has pinworms? First of all, you need to pass the necessary tests that will help establish an accurate diagnosis. Almost all anthelmintic drugs are highly toxic, so you cannot solve the problem yourself.
Only a doctor, after studying the test results, can prescribe treatment with an indication of the appropriate dosage.
The most reliable method is scraping from the anus. The smear can detect the eggs of the worms. It needs to be done in the morning, and there is no need to wash the baby first. It is especially effective to get tested when the child slept badly at night, cried and scratched the anus.
Scraping must be taken at least three times with an interval of one day. Since the result can be obtained unreliable, even if there is a disease. The biomaterial is taken in two ways: with adhesive tape or with a cotton swab soaked in petroleum jelly.
A general blood test can confirm enterobiasis in children. An increased level of eosinophils and leukocytes is found.
Feces for dysbiosis shows violations in the intestinal microflora, the number of bifidumbacteria, Escherichia coli and other useful components decreases.
Signs of infection
Pinworms in children cannot be seen around the anus or in the feces. They can only be seen under a microscope under laboratory conditions. Attentive parents on the behavior and condition of the baby may suspect enterobiasis.
The most common symptoms of enterobiasis in children are as follows:
- the child constantly scratches the ass;
- children's pinworms cause poor, short sleep, crying and fidgeting;
- symptoms of enterobiasis can be manifested in children by decreased appetite, complaints of nausea, weight loss;
- from pinworms in children, salivation may occur during sleep;
- pain in various parts of the abdomen;
- signs of pinworms in children are manifested in the form of stool disorders: diarrhea alternates with constipation;
- complaints of pain in the head;
- the skin turns pale;
- the child looks tired, he is irritable, moody.
Why are pinworms dangerous? This type of helminths is dangerous because complications develop.
- Girls develop vulvovaginitis. This happens when pinworms pass into the genitals, and they become inflamed.
- Pinworm-induced helminthiasis can lead to enterocolitis.
- A large number of pinworms, huddling in heaps, blocks the intestinal lumen, and its obstruction develops.
- If pinworms penetrate the peritoneal area, peritonitis may develop.
- Allergic manifestations may appear: rash, cough, itching.
Enterobiasis in children can cause disruption in the work of not only individual internal organs, but also entire systems. The nervous, endocrine, and immune systems suffer the most.
In newborns, pinworms can be detected by the following signs:
- with pinworms, the baby does not gain weight or even loses it;
- saliva is released abundantly, and this is not associated with teething;
- rash on certain areas of the skin (especially on the thighs, shoulders);
- bowel movement is disturbed;
- the skin becomes pale, bruises are observed under the eyes;
- the baby does not sleep well, wakes up often;
- signs of enterobiasis can be manifested by frequent profuse regurgitation.
How to treat enterobiasis in infants? Almost all drugs against helminths are contraindicated in children under 6 months. Therefore, the disease should only be treated by a specialist.
Drugs for the treatment of the disease
Treatment of enterobiasis in children is prescribed only by a specialist. The duration of treatment in most cases is 3-5 days, but after 14-20 days the course is repeated.
How to get rid of pinworms in a child? Before taking antihelminthic drugs, you need to prepare the body. A week before the start of the main treatment, you must switch to a diet. You can not eat spicy, salty, fatty foods, as well as foods that have a fixing effect.
Treatment in children with pinworms can be carried out with the following drugs.
- Piperazine will help to rid the child of pinworms. The drug paralyzes the neuromuscular system of the parasite and helps to remove them outside. Available in the form of tablets and powder for suspension preparation. It is allowed to use for children under one year old at a dosage of 0.2 g twice a day. The dosage increases with age. The course of treatment lasts 5 days. After a week, it is worth repeating the course.
- Pinworms in a child can be cured with Pirantel. After taking the medicine, pinworm muscle paralysis occurs, they die and go outside with feces. The medicine is given once at the rate of 10 mg of active ingredient per 1 kg of body weight. Permitted medicinal medication for use in children from 6 months. After 3 weeks, the course is repeated.
- Mebendazole. The drug leads to impaired absorption of glucose by parasites, thereby depriving them of nutrition, and they die. Assign to children from 2 years of age at a dosage of 25-50 mg once.
- Dekaris. The medicinal drug blocks the nerve impulses of pinworms, and they die. In addition to anthelmintic action, the drug has an immunostimulating effect. For children under 6 years of age, a dosage of 50 mg is prescribed.
- Nemozole helps to treat pinworms in a child. Violates metabolic processes inside the body of the parasite, destroys its shell and stops the absorption of glucose. Prescribed for children aged 2 years. The dosage depends on the body weight: 15 mg of the active substance is taken per 1 kg. The treatment lasts a week.
- The fight against parasites can be carried out in conjunction with the drug Vormin. The medicine causes metabolic disturbances and leads to the death of helminths. Children from 2 to 10 years old are prescribed a dosage of 50 mg, once.
Treatment of pinworms in children with severe manifestations of allergies is combined with the intake of antihistamines: Cetrin, Loratadin, Zodak.
After anthelmintic therapy, you need to restore the functioning of the body. How to cure the consequences of finding pinworms in the body? For this purpose, vitamins, immunomodulators, prebiotics and probiotics can be prescribed.
Simultaneously with drug therapy, the use of compositions of traditional medicine is allowed. How to remove pinworms from a child? The most effective recipes include ingredients such as pumpkin seeds, garlic and onions, carrot and beet juice.
How to deal with the disease yet? Prevention of enterobiasis in children will help reduce the likelihood of re-infection and speed up the healing process:
- the child's nails should always be cut short;
- bed linen during the treatment of enterobiasis in a child is changed every day;
- panties must be changed in the morning, after sleep and before bedtime;
- after going to the toilet, contact with animals and before eating, be sure to wash your hands with soap and water;
- ventilate the room;
- regularly carry out wet cleaning of the room.
Compliance with hygienic rules will help avoid worms entering the body. You need to be tested regularly in order to detect the disease in time. The sooner treatment is started, the less damage the parasites will cause to the internal organs.