Table of contents:
- How are pinworms treated during pregnancy
- Are pinworms dangerous during pregnancy
- Diet change
Video: How Are Pinworms Treated During Pregnancy
How are pinworms treated during pregnancy
Enterobiasis is the most common parasitic disease that is found in both children and adults. During pregnancy, immunity decreases, chronic diseases worsen and the intestinal microflora changes. This makes a woman susceptible to viruses, bacteria and parasites, therefore pinworms often appear during the period of gestation.
During pregnancy, immunity decreases and the intestinal microflora changes, which makes a woman susceptible to parasites and bacteria.
Are pinworms dangerous during pregnancy
Helminths are not able to cross the placenta, therefore they do not pose a direct threat to the unborn child. However, the mother's body experiences the negative consequences of helminthic invasion. Pinworms are dangerous:
- the possibility of inflammatory processes. In the process of reproduction, worms leave the anus, penetrating the genitals;
- infection of the tissues of the perineal region. The parasitism of pinworms is accompanied by the appearance of severe itching, because of which the patient constantly scratches the skin. Injury to the skin increases the risk of dangerous bacterial infections;
- impaired fetal development. With parasitic diseases, the mother's body is deficient in vitamins and minerals necessary for the normal development of the unborn child;
- sleep disturbance. Helminths are activated at night, which is why a woman does not get enough sleep, becomes tired and irritable, which negatively affects the course of pregnancy;
- an increased risk of developing allergic reactions. The toxins released by parasites affect the immune system, contributing to the emergence of responses;
- an increase in the risk of infection of the child while passing through the birth canal, during feeding and care.
Pinworm parasitism is accompanied by the appearance of severe itching.
The mother's body with parasitic diseases is deficient in vitamins.
Helminths are activated at night, because of which the woman does not get enough sleep and becomes irritable.
The clinical picture of enterobiasis during pregnancy includes the following symptoms:
- itching in the anal area of varying intensity. It intensifies in the evening and at night. The symptom is present for several days, after which it disappears for 2-3 weeks. This is explained by the peculiarities of the life cycle of worms, in which one generation is replaced by another as a result of self-infection;
- discomfort in the perineal region, increased urination and burning sensation in the urethra. It is associated with the penetration of parasites into the urethra and the addition of bacterial infections;
- signs of inflammation of the skin of the anal area. Scratching results in redness, swelling and pain. Dermatitis developing against the background of helminthiasis complicates the course of the disease;
- stomach ache. The intensity of the discomfort increases with the prolonged presence of parasites in the body. Pains are localized in the right hypochondrium and the region of the appendix, which resembles the manifestations of acute appendicitis;
- neurological disorders. The woman complains of headache, dizziness, memory impairment. She quickly gets tired, becomes unable to perceive information. All this leads to a decrease in performance;
- itching of the mucous membranes of the external genital organs. Worms crawling into the genitals are carriers of pathogenic microorganisms;
- insufficient weight gain or weight loss. The enzymes secreted by pinworms interfere with the absorption of nutrients;
- nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Worm infestations increase the risk of developing intestinal infections that have similar symptoms. Inflammatory processes in the body of pregnant women often acquire a severe course;
- bruxism - teeth grinding at night. Many experts consider it a specific symptom of enterobiasis;
- pallor of the skin, a decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the blood. A long course of helminthiasis leads to the development of iron deficiency anemia;
- deterioration of skin, hair and nails. A deficiency of vitamins and minerals leads to thinning and loss of hair, brittle nails, the appearance of sticking in the corners of the lips, and peeling of the skin.
With the development of enterobiasis during pregnancy, a woman experiences frequent urination.
Treatment begins after the results of the pinworm test are obtained. The therapy is carried out under the supervision of a physician who selects safe and effective drugs.
In this case, folk remedies come to the rescue, allowing you to eliminate pinworms during pregnancy without harm to the unborn child. Drug therapy is carried out after 12 weeks, when the body of the fetus becomes fully formed.
For the treatment of enterobiasis in pregnant women, the following medications are used:
- Antiparasitic tablets (Decaris, Pirantel, Piperazine). To destroy pinworms, a single use of the drug is enough.
- Rectal suppositories based on plant extracts (Vormil, Prostada, Helma-Vitol). They have a local effect, have a minimum number of contraindications, and therefore can be used at any stage of pregnancy. The course of treatment lasts 7 days, suppositories are inserted into the rectum before bedtime.
- Zinc ointment. Has an antiseptic and drying effect, destroys the eggs of worms in the anus. Apply it to clean skin 2-3 times a day.
For the treatment of enterobiasis in pregnant women, the drug Dekaris is used.
To get rid of pinworms at home help:
- Garlic. A medium head of garlic is boiled in 200 ml of milk, after removing the peel. The liquid is filtered, cooled and used for setting enemas within 3 days. The procedure is carried out in the evening, after visiting the toilet. The area of the anus is treated with a garlic solution.
- Pumpkin seeds. An effective and safe remedy for pinworms that can be used to prepare medicines or taken alone. 15 seeds are boiled in 200 ml of milk, drunk on an empty stomach. The course of treatment is 14 days. 100 g of seeds are eaten in the morning, food can be taken 2-3 hours after that.
- Beet juice. 120 ml of juice is drunk in the morning on an empty stomach for 15 days.
- Infusion of thyme. 2 tbsp herbs are brewed with 1 tbsp. boiling water, insist in a thermos for 2-3 hours, drink at a time. After 2 hours, take a salt solution (3 g per 200 ml of water). The course of treatment is a week.
- Onion tincture. Finely chop a large onion, pour 1 tbsp. boiling water, leave for 12 hours. The drug is taken in the morning on an empty stomach for 5 days. If necessary, the course of treatment is repeated after a short break.
An effective and safe remedy for pinworms is pumpkin seeds.
In order to avoid pinworm infection, you need:
- wash your hands thoroughly after using the toilet and public places;
- trim your nails regularly;
- observe the rules of intimate hygiene;
- change your underwear more often;
- regularly carry out wet cleaning in the house;
- timely deworming pets.
The diet for enterobiasis is aimed at normalizing the functions of the digestive system and removing worms. The diet includes foods that are dangerous to parasites: spicy vegetables, sour fruits. However, they need to be eaten in small quantities.
During the treatment period, they consume liquid or semi-liquid food, preference should be given to grated food. Fermented milk products, pomegranates, walnuts, cereals are useful. Fatty and fried foods, smoked meats, sweets are excluded from the diet.