Table of contents:
- Types of helminths that live in the child's body
- Infection routes
- How does infection manifest
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Healing activities
Video: Worms In Children: Symptoms And Treatment Of Parasites
Children are most susceptible to helminth infection. Symptoms of the disease are not always pronounced - they often go unnoticed. Regular testing will keep the situation under control. If worms are found in children, then treatment should be started immediately so that they do not harm the body.
- 1 Types of helminths that live in the child's body
- 2 Ways of infection
- 3 How does infection manifest
- 4 Diagnostics in the laboratory
- 5 Treatment measures
Types of helminths that live in the child's body
There are three main groups into which the whole variety of worms is divided. There are round and tape worms, as well as flukes.
In a small organism, a wide variety of parasite species can exist. There are helminths belonging to the group of nematodes in children. It is this species that parasitizes most often.
- Children's roundworms cause ascariasis disease. Localized in the small intestine. The smallest size in the male is about 20 cm, the length of the female reaches 40 cm, the thickness is about 6 mm. Color - gray-pink. The female is capable of laying up to 240 thousand eggs. Only an egg can come out with feces.
- Pinworms cause enterobiasis disease. The length of this worm is small, about 1 cm. The color is gray-white. They live in the final section of the intestine. The female lays eggs around the anus and in the perineum.
- Vlasoglavs cause the development of a disease such as trichocephalosis. They have a long and thin body, are only 5 mm long and live in the intestines. With their thin edges they are able to pierce its walls and through the holes formed toxins produced by helminths are carried along with the blood to other organs.
Why are worms dangerous? All types of worms in children lead to a malfunction of not only individual internal organs, but also entire systems, the patient's behavior changes.
Where do parasites come from in young children? The routes of infection for all helminths are practically similar. There are several main factors that cause helminthiasis in children.
- Worms appear most often due to dirty hands. When in contact with objects on the playground, with sand and earth, the larvae fall on the hands.
- Children can become infected with worms through contact with animals, especially street animals.
- Eating unwashed food.
- When swimming in open water, water can be swallowed.
- You can get infected from cow's milk if the animal is infected with helminths.
- Worms are taken through raw unfiltered water.
- Poorly thermally processed meat or fish can cause infection.
It is important to ensure that there is no contact with street animals. If there is a pet at home, then it is necessary to take care of its health, regularly carrying out preventive deworming. The baby should not be allowed to gnaw and suck his fingers.
Preventive measures include hygiene education. Hands should be washed with soap and water after going outside and going to the toilet, before eating. Products should be washed thoroughly, you can pour over boiling water.
There are cases of infestation with worms. In this case, the danger to the body is high. The situation is complicated by the fact that most anthelmintic drugs are contraindicated for up to 6 months.
The risk of infection of infants with helminths increases during the period of teething and crawling. At this time, he brings all objects to his mouth, licks and sucks them.
How does infection manifest
How to understand that a child has worms? There are common signs of worms in children.
- The first signs are associated with a violation of the stool (diarrhea alternates with constipation).
- Nausea, vomiting may even appear.
- Signs of the presence of worms in a child are indicated by a sharp weight loss.
- Decreased or complete lack of appetite.
- During helminthiasis, children experience allergic manifestations in the form of a rash, itching sensations.
- Children become moody and irritable, they are worried about insomnia.
- With worms, immunity decreases, colds often develop.
- If the child has worms, the hemoglobin level decreases.
In addition to general signs, there is a certain set of symptoms of helminthic invasion in children, characteristic of a particular type of helminth.
How to recognize pinworms? Consider the specific symptoms of worms in children that cause enterobiasis.
- The kid constantly scratches the anal area. The symptom that appears is especially troubling after a night's sleep.
- Signs of the presence of worms are manifested in complaints of pain in the abdomen.
- Drooling may be detected during sleep.
- Signs of helminthiasis are characterized by the addition of dry cough and teeth grinding.
How to find out the signs of ascaris infection? Helminthiasis in children caused by ascaris can manifest itself with the following characteristic symptoms:
- helminthic invasion in children is manifested by an increase in body temperature;
- sore throat, cough, shortness of breath;
- there is a manifestation of pallor of the skin;
- the eyelids swell, bruises form under the eyes;
- enlarged lymph nodes.
What are the symptoms of a whipworm? The symptoms of helminthiasis in children are as follows:
- dark circles under the eyes may appear;
- loose stools with blood and mucus;
- pain in the lower abdomen;
- convulsions may appear;
- increased body temperature;
- pallor of the skin.
As soon as the first warning symptoms in children of worms are found, the treatment should not be delayed, otherwise the risk of complications increases for the child.
How to identify worms in a child? It is possible to recognize helminthiasis not only by its external manifestations. During laboratory diagnostics, it is possible to determine the type of helminth, the degree of infection of the organism, as well as the stage of the course of the disease.
How to identify worms if external signs are not identified?
- The analysis of feces for worm eggs is effective. In order to establish exactly whether a child has worms, he is handed over several times within 2-3 weeks. Worms in the feces of a child can only be found in the larval stage.
- Analysis of feces for dysbiosis will help identify worms in a child. A proven test shows reduced levels of beneficial Escherichia coli and Bifidumbacteria.
- Whether the child has worms will help determine the analysis of capillary blood. With the disease, an increased level of leukocytes, eosinophils and ESR is found. At the same time, the level of hemoglobin is reduced.
- How to detect worms in a child? Pinworms are also found by scraping.
How else to identify worms in a child? Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity, X-ray, computed tomography, endoscopy can exclude the entry of helminths into other internal organs.
It is necessary to check the child not only when the symptoms are expressed. Preventive examinations for worm eggs are carried out at least once a year.
How to remove worms from a child? Often, the treatment of worms in children includes three stages. Before taking medications against worms, the body must be prepared.
What to do if a child has worms? A special diet is prescribed that excludes spicy, fried, fatty foods. If allergic reactions are pronounced, then antihistamines are prescribed - Tavegil, Tsetrin, Loratadin. Worm infestations in children are removed with adsorbents (Enterosgel, activated carbon). You may need the help of hepatoprotectors - for example, Essentiale. Be sure to prescribe enzyme preparations Creon, Mezim.
How to get rid of worms in children? After 7 days, you can start the main anthelmintic therapy. For this purpose, the following medications may be prescribed.
- It is possible to treat worms in a child with the help of the drug Pirantel. It begins to act quickly, does not require laxatives. It causes paralysis of the neuromuscular system, from which the parasites die and freely go outside along with the feces. Can be prescribed to children from 6 months. In this case, 2.5 ml should be taken. The dosage increases with age.
- It is allowed to give the child the medicine Albendazole. The treatment drug disrupts the metabolic processes inside the helminths and the absorption of glucose, which is why they die. Prescribed to children from 2 years old. You need to drink with meals.
- A child from worms can be treated with Levamisole. It is effective in most cases against nematodes. Blocks the nervous system and leads to the fact that worms in children die in just 2-3 hours after taking the medicine. Excretion occurs freely with feces. Should be taken once after dinner. If the weight is less than 20 kg, then the dosage is 25-50 mg.
- The Piperazine remedy is capable of removing worms. The drug leads to a decrease and blockage of the muscle activity of parasites, quickly reduces the symptoms of helminthiasis. The drug is able to get rid of them in a short time. It can be prescribed for children from 6 months. Up to 3 years appoint 0.3 g. Treatment lasts from 2 to 5 days.
- You can remove worms using Vermox. The drug helps to quickly cure the detected diagnosis, stops glucose absorption and disrupts metabolic processes in the body of parasites. Up to 10 years, the dosage is 0.05 g of active ingredient.
- Dekaris. The medicine not only eliminates worms, but increases the body's defenses. After taking one dose, they die. Paralyzes larvae and adults of parasites. Assign from 3 years old at a dosage of 25-50 mg. Drink before bedtime.
The choice of medicine should only be made by a specialist. Failure to comply with the exact dosage leads to adverse reactions, and the condition worsens. The patient's condition, weight, degree of infection and the stage of the disease are taken into account.
It will not be enough to give only antihelminthic drugs - helminthic invasions require a recovery period after the main treatment. What can be given at this time? It is permissible to continue taking adsorbents, for which activated carbon or Lactofiltrum is suitable. It is necessary to maintain immunity. In children, the treatment of helminths continues with the intake of immunomodulators and vitamins.
How to deal with worms and the consequences of their activity? You can't do without prebiotics and probiotics that can normalize the intestinal microflora - for example, Bifiform, Linex.
How can worms be treated with homemade recipes in children? Compositions of traditional medicine, including tansy herb, wormwood, pumpkin seeds, as well as vegetables, onions and garlic, are effective and common.
It is necessary to increase immunity, which will help the tempering of the body, proper nutrition, the ability to plan the daily routine. It is important to alternate between work and rest.
Helminthiases cause serious diseases and destroy the fragile child's body. Therefore, it is so important to detect the disease in time and start treatment. Attentive parents can easily recognize the first symptoms.