Table of contents:
- In what situations is the use of Furazolidone recommended
- Composition of the medicinal product
- Pharmacological properties
- Release form
- Indications for use
- Possible contraindications
- Instructions for use
- The cost of the drug
- Analogs and comparison
- Feedback on application
Video: FURAZOLIDON - Instructions For Use, Price, Reviews And Analogues
In what situations is the use of Furazolidone recommended
- 1 Composition of the medicinal product
- 2 Pharmacological properties
- 3 Release form
- 4 Indications for use
- 5 Possible contraindications
6 Instructions for use
- 6.1 Furazolidone during pregnancy
- 6.2 Drug interactions
- 6.3 Side effects
- 7 Cost of the drug
- 8 Analogs and Comparison
- 9 Feedback on application
Furazolidone belongs to antiseptic and antimicrobial agents and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. The main active ingredient is furazolidone, a nitrofuran derivative. Features of admission and recommended treatment regimens are described in the information provided.
Composition of the medicinal product
The main active ingredient is furazolidone. Additional components: potato starch, lactose, calcium stearate. The shelf life of the drug is 3 years after release.
This drug is a synthetic derivative of nitrofurfural. It has antimicrobial activity against gram-negative aerobic bacteria, some types of gram-positive aerobic microorganisms, protozoa and fungi.
The effect depends on the dosage of the drug. So, when using small doses of furazolidone, a bacteriostatic effect is expressed. With an increase in dosage, an increased bactericidal activity is observed. The antimicrobial effect is the ability of furazolidone to be reduced to the amino group. As a result of this process, substances are formed that have a toxic effect on bacterial cells. They destroy the outer shell, block the biochemical processes of pathogenic microorganisms at the cellular level. The use of furazolidone provokes the blockade of NADH and disturbances in the cellular respiration of microorganisms. This inhibits growth and reproduction and leads to the death of the above groups of bacteria.
Furazolidone has a slight immunostimulating effect, increasing the phagocytic activity of leukocytes. In addition, when taking the drug, the production of toxins by microorganisms decreases, which provides an improvement in the clinical picture.
The drug belongs to the group of monoamine oxidase inhibitors, therefore it has a slight excitement of the nervous system and increases the sensitivity to ethyl alcohol. This increases the likelihood of side effects while drinking alcohol during treatment.
Insensitivity to furazolidone is manifested by the causative agents of anaerobic and purulent infections. The addiction to the drug develops extremely slowly. After taking furazolidone, the active ingredients are rapidly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract. In blood plasma, the maximum indicators are observed after 4-6 hours of admission. Metabolization occurs mainly in the liver, and the process occurs at such a speed that it does not allow accumulation in tissues and does not significantly affect the activity of internal organs, in particular, the kidneys. It is excreted by the kidneys (about 65%), reaches significant values in the bile duct and intestinal lumen, which makes it possible to use the drug for the treatment of local infections.
Forms of drug release
Furazolidone is available in tablet form. The package contains two blisters of 10 tablets each with an active substance content of 50 mg. Tablets are suitable for oral administration, preparation of a disinfectant solution. In veterinary practice, furazolidone powder is used for topical use.
Indications for use
The drug is effective in the treatment of infectious diseases caused by strains of microorganisms that are sensitive to the action of furazolidone.
- Aerobic bacteria (gram-positive and gram-negative): Streptococcus spp., Staphylococcus spp., Shigella spp., Shigella dysenteria, Shigella boydii, Shigella sonnei, Salmonella typhi, Salmonella paratyphi, Esherichia coli, Proteus spp., Klebsi and bacteria of the genus Enterobacter;
- The simplest microorganisms. Trichomonas spp., Lamblia spp;
- Fungal infections caused by the causative agent of the genus Candida.
Before prescribing furazolidone for the treatment of candidiasis, it is better to conduct sensitivity tests.
The pharmacological action of the drug allows its use in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Gastrointestinal tract infections;
- Inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system;
- Trichomonas infection;
- Bacillary dysentery;
- Giardiasis of various localization;
- In the treatment of skin diseases;
- In the treatment of infected wounds and burns.
The drug is characterized by a low rate of resistance to pathogenic flora, therefore it can be used for repeated courses of treatment.
The drug has a complex effect on the body, but due to its rapid elimination, it does not have many contraindications. When prescribing a course of treatment, it is worth consulting with a doctor, informing about already existing diseases and conditions.
Furazolidone should not be used:
- Children under one year old;
- Individual sensitivity to drug components;
- With thermal (last) stage of renal failure;
- Central nervous system pathologies;
- Enzyme deficiency;
- During lactation;
- With hepatic pathologies.
In acute renal failure, the drug accumulates due to a low metabolic rate and excretion, therefore, the question of the advisability of treating such patients with this drug is decided by the attending physician.
Instructions for use
Furazolidone is taken orally, strictly after meals. The tablets are not chewed with water. For children, it is best to grind the prescribed amount of medicine and mix with a small portion of water. The drug does not have a pronounced taste, it is capable of staining urine yellow.
The following schemes are used for treatment:
- For the treatment of infections of the gastrointestinal tract, the drug is prescribed two tablets three times a day. The course of treatment is 5-10 days, depending on the severity of the condition. The maximum dosage for adults is 800 mg (16 tablets).
- In pediatrics, the dosage is calculated depending on the age and body weight of the patient. The daily dose should not exceed 10 mg / kg of body weight, while it is necessary to divide the medicine into three to four doses.
- In the treatment of infections of the genitourinary system, the same doses of medication are used. The course of admission is three days.
- For the treatment of vaginal infection, it is more advisable to use furazolidone preparations in the form of suppositories.
- Topical use in the treatment of infected wounds and burns is applied in the form of irrigation or the use of wet-drying dressings. A solution for topical application is prepared at a rate of 1: 25000. Such solutions are also often used in surgical practice to prevent infection of postoperative sutures or to treat the skin surface before manipulations.
The maximum duration of the course of treatment with furazolidone is 10 days. After this time, the drug should not be used in order to avoid a decrease in sensitivity and a high risk of side effects.
Furazolidone during pregnancy
Furazolidone during pregnancy
Patients carrying a child use the drug only after a medical consultation. The specialist will be able to weigh and assess the possible harm to the child and the benefit to the mother. Usually drugs of other groups with a similar effect are used.
For the period of treatment with Furazolidone, breastfeeding should be discontinued. The active components of the drug can penetrate into breast milk, therefore, they can harm the health of the child.
Furazolidone is able to reduce the reaction rate, therefore, during the period of treatment, it is not recommended to perform work requiring maximum concentration. These include the management of transport, cargo and lifting mechanisms.
It is definitely worth excluding alcohol intake, because the combination of the drug with ethyl alcohol increases the toxic load on the liver and kidneys. There may be individual reactions: nausea, vomiting, indigestion. In addition, there are known cases of tachycardia and brain disturbances. That is why furazolidone and alcohol are incompatible.
An extremely negative effect is observed with the simultaneous use of vasoconstrictor drugs, or food products that have a similar effect. These include chocolate, coffee, and strong tea. You should also not eat foods containing lactose. This can lead to the development of undesirable phenomena, since the product contains a certain amount of lactose in the composition.
In case of violations of the regimen and recommended dosages, negative reactions of the body are possible. To reduce the likelihood of such manifestations, the tablets should be taken with plenty of plain water, and during the treatment, additionally take preparations containing B vitamins. To protect the liver, modern hepatoprotectors or drugs with a similar effect can be used.
Side effects of the drug include:
- Nausea, vomiting;
- Pain in the epigastric region;
- Skin rashes, urticaria;
- Quincke's edema;
- Headache, dizziness;
- Increased sleepiness and fatigue;
- Feverish conditions;
- Decreased appetite.
In general, this group of drugs is classified as low-toxic. Subject to the prescribed duration and dosage during treatment, the appearance of negative symptoms is unlikely. If, nevertheless, negative reactions occur after Furazolidone, you should stop taking it and inform your doctor about it.
The cost of the drug
Furazolidone is distinguished by a completely affordable price. On average, the cost of a pack of 20 tablets ranges from 95 to 115 rubles, depending on the country of origin.
Analogs and comparison
Usually the drug is well tolerated and does not require replacement. In addition, furazolidone is distinguished by its affordable cost and a wide range of applications, but for some categories of patients, the use of similar drugs would be the best option.
Drugs with a similar effect:
Furadonin, Furagin, Furmag and Furacilin are direct derivatives of furazolidone. In these medicines, the active ingredient is presented in different concentrations, therefore, before use, it is necessary to read the instructions or consult with your doctor.
Furazolidone is a time-tested antiseptic, often used in the treatment of infections of various origins. It has antimicrobial effect on many known strains of bacteria and other microorganisms, and is also used to eliminate candidiasis. It is better to agree on the treatment regimen and dosage with the doctor, because the drug has contraindications. Features of admission for various diseases are discussed in our information.