Table of contents:
- Causes of white feces
- Associated symptoms of light-colored stools
- What ailments can light feces say?
- Who to contact?
Video: White Lumps In Feces In Infants And Blotches In An Adult
- 1 Causes of white feces
- 2 Associated symptoms of light-colored stools
- 3 What ailments can light feces say?
- 4 Who should I contact?
Many diseases can be diagnosed by the color, consistency and composition of feces. Changes in the color of feces are the result of certain pathological processes in the body. Normal feces can be from light yellowish to dark brown. A change in shade within the normal range is normal and depends on the diet. However, a significant change in the color of feces, their white color or light grains in the feces should alert, as they indirectly indicate some pathologies.
Causes of white feces
Light coloration of stool or white streaks in the stool often indicate a cessation of the flow of bilirubin into the intestine. It is bilirubin that is synthesized in the intestines into stercobilin, a special pigment substance that gives feces its characteristic brown color.
White lumps in feces in infants or light stools in an adult are due to the peculiarities of nutrition or the use of certain foods. If an adult has white grains in the feces after drinking milk, this indicates a high fat content of milk. For the same reason, light lumps appear in the baby's feces, but in this case we are talking about breast milk.
Often, white lumps in the feces appear after consuming butter, kefir, sour cream or bacon. In such situations, it is enough to adjust your diet so that the white bloom on the feces no longer appears.
Light inclusions in feces can appear against the background of the use of certain medications:
The structure of human lice: types and symptoms of infection
- antifungal drugs;
- oral contraceptives;
- medicines to treat gout;
- anti-tuberculosis medications;
- antiepileptic drugs;
- medicines containing acetylsalicylic acid;
- NSAIDs - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- some rectal suppositories;
- with an overdose of paracetamol;
Usually, after stopping the medication that causes changes in stool color, the white spots in the stool should disappear. If this does not happen, you should consult a specialist.
White lumps in feces can appear against the background of such conditions:
- Light particles and threads in a woman's feces can be found both during the gestation process and immediately after childbirth. Usually this is due to dietary habits or pathologies of the liver and gastrointestinal tract.
- Light lumps in feces in infants are not a cause for concern, they usually indicate the immaturity of the gastrointestinal tract.
- White grains in the feces of an adult and, in general, a light-colored stool occurs after the operative removal of the gallbladder.
- Such a shade of feces can be after an X-ray examination with a contrast in the form of barium sulfate.
- After poisoning, white feces may also appear.
- Light colored feces can indicate an excess intake of carbohydrates in the human body.
In a newborn and baby, white curdled grains and flakes in the feces do not indicate any disease. This stool may be due to formula milk, complementary dairy products, or characteristics of breast milk. The stool of a baby under one year old, which is exclusively breastfed, can be of any color.
Something white in the feces of an adult should alert. This is a reason for contacting a medical facility or reviewing your diet. In old age, white feces are clearly a sign of a serious illness.
Associated symptoms of light-colored stools
What is a dwarf tapeworm: structure and life cycle of the parasite
Often, white blotches in the feces do not appear on their own, but accompanied by some accompanying symptoms that will help to understand the cause of this color of feces and identify pathology. So, you should pay attention to the following symptoms:
- Whitish worms in the feces indicate a parasitic disease. These can be roundworms, pinworms or cat flukes. In this case, deworming of the body is required, since many parasites cause dangerous complications.
- Various light lumps and dots in the stool indicate the removal of undigested food debris from the intestines. Usually it is food of plant origin. Also, feces with white thin veins may indicate this. By themselves, such lumps and dots are not a reason to go to the doctor, but in combination with light liquid stools, they indicate cholecystitis, which requires treatment by a specialist. The same can be said for white-fiber feces.
- Liquid white stool indicates a malfunction of the liver or pancreas. This usually happens with hepatitis, chronic pancreatitis, dyskinesia of the bile ducts.
- White feces in combination with dark urine and yellowing of the skin indicate hepatitis. Go to a medical facility urgently.
- Light-colored feces in combination with pain in the right hypochondrium indicate liver and biliary pathology. In this case, the consistency of feces may be normal.
- Thin white stool, combined with high fever, appears early in the inflammatory process. These symptoms, combined with vomiting in a child, are a symptom of a viral infection.
- Feces with a white coating and mucus in it can indirectly indicate fistulas in the intestine (proctitis). Often, with such a disease, whitish balls of mucus are found in the feces. An accompanying symptom may be pain during bowel movements and fever. Often, with cracks in the anus, blood appears in the stool.
- Offensive white feces are found in cancer of the pancreas, directly of the liver or gallbladder. With pancreatitis, this may indicate the transition of the disease into a chronic form.
- Constipation in combination with such secretions indicates malfunctioning of the gallbladder and liver.
- Light foamy stools occur with enterocolitis, ulcers and other pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract.
- This symptom, combined with bloating, can be with dysbiosis. In this case, the feces may take on a slightly greenish tint.
What ailments can light feces say?
The presence of a large number of white grains in the stool of an adult and white stool may indicate the following pathological conditions:
- Hepatitis. With this ailment, such feces are combined with yellow skin and dark urine.
- Pancreatitis Usually the patient feels pain in the left hypochondrium. Often the cause of the disease is the abuse of fatty foods and alcohol.
- Cholecystitis. In this case, in combination with white stool, other symptoms are present: nausea, vomiting, high fever, poor appetite and pain in the stomach.
- Oncology of the gastrointestinal tract. In the initial stages, there may be no other symptoms. In the later stages, pain joins, appetite worsens, and weight loss is often observed.
- Crohn's disease. This is a pathology of infectious, psychosomatic or allergic origin. Usually, the disease is accompanied by fever, vomiting, decreased appetite, weight loss.
- Cirrhosis of the liver. Such feces in this disease are at the stage of decompensation or subcompensation.
Who to contact?
With a light color of feces, you can contact different specialists, depending on the accompanying symptoms. So, with helminthiasis, treatment is carried out by a parasitologist. If the disease is caused by an infectious disease, then you should contact a therapist or infectious disease specialist.
If light feces appear against the background of pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract and digestive organs, then you need to see a gastroenterologist. If, in addition to white blotches, mucus and blood appear in the feces of a newborn, or the feces are too liquid, foamy and offensive, then first of all it is worth telling the pediatrician about this. This specialist will prescribe additional tests and, if there is cause for concern, will refer the child to a narrow-profile specialist.