Table of contents:
Video: Furazolidone - Instructions For The Use Of Tablets For Children
- 1 Composition and description
2 Instructions for use of the drug
- 2.1 Furazolidone during pregnancy
- 2.2 How to take Furazolidone for children?
- 3 Contraindications
- 4 Side effects
- 5 Analogs
This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of various diseases provoked by microbes and protozoa. Furazolidone flat-cylindrical tablets have a yellow or yellowish-green tint. The medicine should be prescribed by a doctor after confirming the diagnosis with the help of instrumental and laboratory studies. The medication has its own contraindications and undesirable effects, so this must be taken into account before you start taking it.
Composition and description
The drug Furazolidone contains an active ingredient - Furazolidone 50 mg. Also, the composition of the drug contains the following auxiliary ingredients:
- calcium stearate;
- potato starch.
The medication in tablets is sold in packs of ten to 50 pieces. Also on sale there are candles with furazolidone. This antimicrobial drug belongs to the group of nitrofuran derivatives. It is highly active against some microbes, protozoa, anaerobic infections and causative agents of purulent diseases. The resistance of pathogenic microorganisms to furazolidone is developed very slowly.
If we describe the features of the effect of Furazolidone, the instruction says that it suppresses the respiration of microorganisms at the cellular level. It also has a depressing effect on the production of tricarboxylic acids and promotes the production of nucleic acids in microbes. This contributes to the destruction of the membrane of the microorganism and disruption of its cytoplasmic membrane. The result of this process is a decrease in the production of toxins and an improvement in the patient's condition even at the beginning of treatment.
You can often come across the question of whether it is possible to give Furazolidone to children. Of course you can. The medicine is prescribed not only for adults, but also for children. The tablet form is intended for children from three years old, but there is a special Furazolidone for children in the form of granules, from which a suspension is prepared. It comes with a special instruction for children.
Furazolidone for children under one year old is also given in the form of a suspension prepared from granules. If you have purchased Furazolidone for children, the instructions for use state that this drug is prescribed for children starting from one month.
Pinworm candles and rules for their use
The active ingredient is rapidly absorbed when taken orally. The metabolism of the drug occurs in the liver. Most of the medicine is excreted by the kidneys. A small amount of furazolidone is found in the feces. Moreover, its concentration is sufficient to destroy the causative agents of intestinal diseases.
Now we will tell you what Furazolidone helps from. Tablets and granules are taken to treat the following conditions:
- various foodborne diseases;
- bacillary dysentery;
- intestinal diseases caused by protozoa, for example, giardiasis;
- Trichomonas urethritis;
- infectious diarrhea;
- infected burns and wound infections;
- Trichomonas colpitis, cystitis, vaginitis and pyelitis.
Instructions for using the drug
The method of application and dosage of Furazolidone may differ depending on age and disease. You can read about how to take Furazolidone in the instructions for use. It is recommended to adhere to the following regimens and doses for the treatment of the adult population:
- The tablets are taken orally after meals with water.
- With all kinds of toxicoinfections, bacillary dysentery, and paratyphoid fever, adults should take 100-150 milligrams four times a day. The course of therapy is 5-10 days. The duration of treatment can be adjusted depending on the severity of the disease and its nature. In some cases, the medication is prescribed in the same dose in several 3-6-day cycles with intervals of three or four days.
- Furazolidone for giardiasis is prescribed at a dose of 100 milligrams four times a day. The duration of the medication is determined by the doctor individually, depending on the severity of the disease and the patient's condition. The maximum daily dose for adults should not exceed 800 milligrams, and the maximum single dosage is 200 mg.
- For the treatment of Trichomonas urethritis, 100 milligrams are prescribed four times a day for three days.
Furazolidone during pregnancy
In the course of research, it was revealed that this medication has a negative effect on the fetus, therefore, the use of this medication during pregnancy is strictly contraindicated.
Since the active ingredient can penetrate into breast milk, Furazolidone is not prescribed during lactation. If there is a need for treatment during lactation, breastfeeding should be interrupted during therapy.
How to take Furazolidone for children?
Furazolidone can be prescribed to a child only by a treating specialist. If you purchased Furazolidone for children, the instruction states that the medication must be taken in accordance with the following scheme and doses:
Candles for worms for children and adults
- In the treatment of dysentery, toxicoinfections and paratyphoid fever, the dose for the child is calculated from the weight. It is equal to 10 milligrams per kg. This daily dose must be divided into 4 doses. The duration of treatment is no more than a week.
- With giardiasis, children are prescribed 10 milligrams per kg. The daily rate is divided into several doses. The duration of the course is determined individually.
If you will be using Furazolidone, the contraindications must be studied before starting treatment. The medicine is not prescribed for such diseases:
- can not be used in case of hypersensitivity to nitrofuran derivatives;
- renal failure (chronic end stage);
- not prescribed to children in the first month of life;
- a contraindication is lactase deficiency and a lack of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase;
- pathology of the nervous system.
Since the drug can cause lethargy and reduce the speed of reactions, this should be taken into account by all those who work with mechanisms that require a lot of concentration of attention, or drive a car.
Despite the low toxicity of the drug, the following adverse reactions were sometimes observed during treatment:
- Digestive system: nausea, anorexia, pain in the epigastric region.
- Allergic manifestations: itching, skin rashes, urticaria, and Quincke's edema.
- With long-term treatment, methemoglobinemia and hemolytic anemia may develop. Cough, shortness of breath, neurotoxic reactions and hyperthermia may also appear.
To reduce the likelihood of adverse reactions, the medication is recommended to be washed down with water in large quantities. Also, for the same purpose, antihistamines and vitamin B should be taken against the background of treatment.
The drug has no analogues in terms of the active ingredient. You can list only drugs with a similar pharmacological action:
You should not independently replace the antimicrobial agent prescribed by the doctor and recorded in the prescription with analogs. Moreover, in the analogs listed by us, other constituent components are used, therefore, the treatment regimen, indications, adverse reactions and contraindications may differ.