Table of contents:
- 1 Preparation and where to take the test?
2 Types of stool tests for egg sheet
- 3 Interpretation of results
The study of feces for helminth cysts, parasite eggs and their fragments, larvae and vegetative forms of protozoa is the simplest method for diagnosing helminthiasis. Normally, the listed creatures and their particles should not be found in feces. If they are detected, no other research methods are usually needed to make a final diagnosis. However, for the results of the study to be reliable, it is necessary to correctly submit the material for analysis. We will tell you how to collect a feces analysis, where to take it, how to decipher the results, and in what cases these analyzes are needed.
Preparation and where to take the analysis?
In order for the analysis for the egg leaf to be reliable, it must be collected correctly. In principle, no special preparation of a person is required, the only thing that must be adhered to the following collection rules:
- Three days before this, you should not put any rectal suppositories or take a laxative, since the analysis for worm eggs may be inaccurate.
- Also, you should not take potent medications that can affect intestinal motility or color the feces in an unusual color.
- It is not recommended for an adult to consume alcohol, as it can change the composition and consistency of feces, as well as provoke diarrhea.
- Before collecting a stool analysis, it is advisable to go to the toilet on a small one so that urine does not get into the test material.
- If we talk about how to properly collect feces, then for this it is better to take a special plastic container (you can buy it at the pharmacy). If you will use another container for analysis, then the container must be dry and clean.
- To conduct a study on helminth eggs, it is enough to take the test material in the amount of two teaspoons. By the way, a plastic spoon is attached to the pharmacy container for collecting feces. In some private laboratories, the patient is given a plastic container with a spoon built into the lid to collect the feces for testing.
- If feces are examined for protozoa and worm cysts, then the material must be taken from three different areas of feces. To do this, it is enough to take a small portion from the beginning and end of the portion, as well as from its middle.
- After placing in the container, the lid is tightly closed.
- The container for collecting the analysis must be signed.
In order for the analysis of feces for oviduct to give accurate results, it is recommended to take the test material 30-50 minutes after collection. In some cases, it is allowed to donate feces for eggs to the worm from the evening portion of bowel movements. If you collect stool in the evening, store it in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator.
If we talk about how to properly collect feces, then you need to consider the following:
What is Toxoplasma gondii and its life cycle
- you can store feces in the refrigerator for no more than eight hours;
- storage temperature should be within 4-8 ° С.
We figured out how to take a feces test for worm eggs, now it's worth clarifying where it can be done. The feces for the oviduct can be checked in a private laboratory or a public medical institution. So, a general analysis of feces can be done in any clinic or hospital, but the analysis of feces for PCR is done in laboratories with special equipment, which is not available in all state medical institutions, so it is better to contact a private laboratory.
It should also be borne in mind that the fastest stool analysis will be done in a private institution, but you will have to pay a certain amount of money for this, depending on the type of study. The results of the analysis of feces from a state laboratory will have to wait longer, but the study itself will be free.
Types of fecal ovum tests
The analysis of feces for protozoa and helminth cysts can be performed using different methods:
- A coprogram for enterobiasis is done to identify the protozoa in the feces.
- Scraping on the eggs of the worm is needed to detect pinworm eggs. In this case, it is not feces that are taken for research, but scraping from the anal area. This is explained by the fact that pinworms lay eggs not inside the intestines, but on the area of the perianal folds, crawling out of the anus.
- A coprogram for an ovarian leaf is needed to confirm the diagnosis of helminthiasis.
- In some cases, a general study of feces will help to suspect some types of helminthiasis. So, if the decoding of the analysis of feces in children makes it possible to detect bilirubin in the feces, then this is a sign of the rapid movement of food through the intestines, which happens with some parasitic invasions.
- The study of feces by PCR is carried out to clarify the diagnosis of helminthiasis, but in this case, not the eggs of parasites, but particles of their DNA are looked for in the test material.
The basis for the appointment of an analysis of feces for protozoa and helminth cysts is a suspicion of the presence of the following types of parasites in the body:
How to take a stool test for opisthorchiasis?
- Roundworms (nematodes). This group includes roundworms, nekators, whipworms and duodenal crooked heads.
- The group of flukes or trematodes includes schistosomes, hepatic and feline flukes, paradoxical leukochloridia.
- The category of tapeworms or cestodes includes pork and bovine tapeworms, as well as a wide tapeworm.
In addition to confirming the diagnosis, fecal examination is necessary in such cases:
- before going to the pool;
- at the time of admission to the hospital;
- when registering a medical book;
- before handing over children to preschool.
Decoding the results
Normally, the analysis of feces does not contain data on the presence of certain parasites and protozoa. False negative results can be at the beginning of the invasion, when the helminths did not have time to reach the state of sexually mature individuals and begin to reproduce. Also, such results are:
- if a week before the study the patient took preparations of bismuth, barium, iron;
- the same goes for anti-amebic drugs, tetracycline, antacids and antidiarrheal drugs.
If you have done a stool analysis, decoding is the task of your attending physician. In any case, the presence of parasite eggs or protozoa in the test material is a positive result and confirmation of the disease. A negative result does not always indicate the absence of a disease, therefore, the study is recommended to be carried out several times with an interval of a couple of days.
For PCR, the transcript is usually included on the test sheet. We can talk about the presence of an ailment if DNA particles of one or another helminth are found. Unlike a conventional coprogram, a PCR test only needs to be performed twice at weekly intervals.
Now you know how the decoding of the feces analysis (coprogram) is carried out. In any case, the doctor should evaluate the results and make a decision on additional studies, based on the clinical picture of the disease and the therapy performed.