Table of contents:
Video: Pinworms In Adults: Symptoms And Treatment
Among the parasites developing in the intestines of humans, pinworms are especially common. They are one of the most common helminths. As a result of entering the body, pinworms start pathological processes in it that contribute to the occurrence of such a disease as enterobiasis. In most cases, children are susceptible to the disease, but adults also suffer from the disease, since the disease is transmitted by contact and everyday life. Treatment of enterobiasis in adults is carried out with the same medications as in children, only the dosage is increased several times.
- Life cycle and routes of infection
- How to get pinworms at home?
- Pinworm medicine for adults
- How is pinworms treated in pregnant women?
- Folk remedies
- Can pinworms pass by themselves?
- Pinworm tests
- Scraping on pinworm eggs
- Blood test
- Stool analysis
Life cycle and routes of infection
The causative agents of enterobiasis are roundworms (pinworms). They enter the human body through the mouth (orally).
Among the reasons for the penetration of helminths are:
- Failure to comply with personal hygiene standards;
- Washing hands thoroughly, mostly without soap, is not enough;
- Eating poorly washed fruits, vegetables and herbs;
- Infection from sick animals. Parasites can be found on their fur and if you do not wash your hands after playing with pets, helminth eggs can be introduced into the human body;
- Contact with an already ill with enterobiasis through a handshake and the use of common hygiene items, dishes and clothes.
- Flies entering the premises (especially in the kitchen where food is located), which are also carriers of parasite eggs.
The life span of parasites is four weeks and goes through several stages:
- Fertilization. The life cycle of parasites begins in the intestines from the moment of fertilization of the female pinworm. Males are not adapted for later life and immediately die. Female pinworms move from the intestines to the anus.
- Exit of females and oviposition. Coming out of the anus, the female lays eggs around it, in the area of folds of skin and perineum. This action is carried out mainly at night or in the morning and is accompanied by severe itching. After laying eggs, the female dies.
- Ripening. The laid eggs of the worms ripen in a few hours. The human body temperature (36.6 degrees) is optimal for this process.
- Subsequent infection. Severe itching causes the urge to scratch where it appears. Due to this, eggs with parasites through the contaminated fingers of the hands fall on the linen, bed. From under dirty nails, pinworms move to dishes, other household items, food. They then enter the mouth and into the gastrointestinal tract.
- Repetition of the cycle. Upon entering the intestines, the larvae begin to grow and reach sexual maturity in two weeks. Then the cycle of their development is repeated.
In the clinical picture, both local and general signs of the disease are observed:
Itching sensation around the anus. The sensations are caused by the activity of pinworms laying eggs;
Skin scratching in the intimate area. The accumulation of helminths causes an intolerable desire to scratch the skin, which causes a violation of its integument and the appearance of abrasions and scratches in the genital area.
If an infection gets into the combs at this time, signs of inflammation will appear:
- swelling of the skin;
- painful sensations when touched
- Disturbances in the work of the central nervous system. They appear with a prolonged process of the presence of a large number of pinworms in the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract).
Such pathological processes are characterized by:
- sleep disturbance and its duration;
- the occurrence of a headache;
- the appearance of twitching and convulsions.
Disruption of the digestive system:
- nausea and vomiting;
- abdominal pain and bloating;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- mucus or blood in your stool;
The appearance of general symptoms is caused by the functioning of helminths inside the body. Pinworms are dangerous because, attached to the intestinal wall, they feed on blood, releasing into it their waste products - mucus and toxins, which, thanks to the blood flow, are carried deep into the body, disrupting the absorption of nutrients.
The substances secreted by pinworms have a particularly strong effect on the central nervous system.
Getting rid of pinworms is not difficult and does not require excessive efforts. The exception is cases where helminths are constantly entering the body if sanitary and hygienic standards are not observed.
How to get pinworms at home?
The basis of helminthiasis therapy is the removal of parasites from the body.
At home, zinc ointment helps to get rid of pinworms. With its help, the area of the anus, gluteal folds and perineum are lubricated. The parasites leaving the anus die under the influence of the substances contained in the ointment.
The process of getting rid of worms is especially effective if the following rules are observed:
- Putting on thick underwear at night (panties with tight elastic bands along the edges of the legs);
- Daily washing of intimate areas, especially the anus;
- Frequent linen change;
- Boiling clothes and ironing them (it is known that eggs (pinworms) die at high temperatures).
Pinworm medicine for adults
You can get rid of enterobiasis by taking anthelmintic drugs, which have different mechanisms of action on the human body.
The most popular drugs are presented in the table:
|1.||Vermox||Pills||It paralyzes pinworms, as a result of which they cannot move inside the intestines, die and are removed with feces.||One tablet once, 2 times a day.|
|2.||Pirantel||Pills||Destroys parasites at any stage of their development.||It is used once, one tablet a day.|
|3.||Medamin||Pills||Oppresses the activity of pinworms, gradually weakening them.||One tablet 3 times a day.|
|4.||Helmavitol||Rectal suppositories||Allows you to quickly get rid of pinworms, removing larvae from the body at all stages of their development.||One suppository at night after bowel movement or enema.|
How is pinworms treated in pregnant women?
If a woman falls ill with enterobiasis during pregnancy, her treatment is carried out with drugs that are not toxic to the unborn child.
Until 13 weeks, anthelmintic drugs should not be used so as not to harm the fetus. In the future, the doctor prescribes drug therapy with the help of tablet preparations (Piperazine, Dekaris; Pirantel), rectal suppositories (Prostada, Vormil, Helma-Vitol) and folk remedies.
As an aid to the main treatment for getting rid of enterobiasis, such folk remedies are used as:
- Garlic enema. This method is not suitable for those who suffer from gastritis. A clove is ground to a gruel and filled with warm water (1 glass per 1 clove). The mixture is infused for about 4 hours and an enema is given 1.5 hours before bedtime.
- Garlic juice with milk. It is drunk before meals 3 times a day;
- Pumpkin seeds. You can eat the seeds themselves, or you can make a decoction of them: 100 gr. Pour boiling water over the beans and boil for 15 minutes. Drink on a lean;
- Beet juice. They take it in the morning on an empty stomach. The tool removes constipation, while simultaneously removing pinworms from the intestines. Drink the juice for two weeks. Beetroot improves blood composition, saturates the body with vitamins. You can add carrot juice to beet juice in equal amounts.
Can pinworms pass by themselves?
Self-healing from pinworms is possible, but this becomes possible only with strict observance of hygienic rules. The eggs of the parasites often get under the nails, so they need to be cut short. They can be found anywhere: on furniture, curtains, carpets, and die only after 40 days, without entering the human body. They are afraid of wet cleaning.
It is very difficult to avoid reintroduction of parasites into the body. At night, the itching in the anus increases and the person involuntarily scratches this area, then the parasite gets on the clothes and self-infection occurs. Therefore, getting rid of helminths is theoretically possible, but unlikely. The best solution in this case is to see a doctor for an effective treatment. Only medications help to get rid of the consequences of pinworm activity, if not forever, but for a long time.
To detect parasites, laboratory tests are done:
- scraping on pinworm eggs;
- finger blood test;
- analysis of feces.
How are they carried out?
Scraping on pinworm eggs
The analysis is carried out in two ways:
- Using a cotton swab moistened with glycerin, a sample is taken from the skin in the anus and skin folds. The stick is placed in a test tube and subjected to laboratory diagnostics for pinworms;
- With duct tape. It is pressed against the anus, then transferred to glass. The material is examined under a microscope to determine the presence of the parasite.
The method helps to determine the presence of foreign proteins in the blood, the presence of inflammation and changes in its chemical composition. The analysis is done in the morning on an empty stomach.
Rent in the morning. Helps detect pinworms in feces that look like small, oblong worms.
Enterobiasis is a parasitic disease that is difficult to get rid of, since there is a high probability of re-infection. So that such a serious problem does not harm the body, you need to take preventive measures, observing the norms of personal hygiene of all family members, wash your hands well after visiting the street and the toilet. So you can avoid relapse of the disease.
Below is a video about pinworms: