Table of contents:
- First signs to think about
- Symptoms that occur with this disease
- What are the reasons for botulism?
- Preventive actions
- Botulism treatment
Video: Botulism - Early Symptoms Of Botulism And Effective Treatments
Last updated 1 August 2017 at 17:23
Reading time: 6 minutes
Botulism is a very terrible infectious disease caused by bacteria, namely its toxic waste "Clostridium botulinum - botulinum toxin". Now people get sick very rarely, but still there are such cases.
This disease does not appear immediately, the first signs are the usual intoxication of the body (nausea and vomiting), but this means that botulism infection is in the human body. First, it is in the digestive tract, and then it enters the bloodstream, and the field spreads throughout the body. The function of any organ is under threat.
- 1 First signs to think about
- 2 Symptoms that occur with this disease
3 For what reasons botulism can occur
- 3.1 Through food
- 3.2 Through the wound
- 3.3 Children's uniform
- 3.4 Through inhalation of toxins
- 4 Preventive action
5 Treatment of botulism
5.1 Similar articles
First signs to think about
The earliest symptoms of botulism can be confused with common poisoning or intestinal upset. If you see at least one manifesting sign of intoxication, you should visit a doctor and make sure.
The patient complains about:
- very severe pain and cramps in the center of the abdomen;
- headache (dizziness);
- an attack of diarrhea;
- general weakness, impotence,
- nausea and vomiting;
- temperature rise (very high up to 40).
Symptoms that occur with this disease
Botulism, like all diseases, has its main symptoms. They are divided into three types: arising in the digestive tract (occurs most often), visual impairment, problems with the bronchopulmonary and respiratory systems.
The first signs of poisoning and infection with botulism, which usually appear in the digestive system.
It is very easy to confuse them with common poisoning:
- nausea and vomiting (may occur several times a day);
- bouts of pain in the stomach;
- diarrhea (loose or watery stools);
- feeling of dryness in the mouth (for no reason).
Visual impairment is very rare at the first symptoms, the following changes occur:
- sharpness of vision falls;
- a person does not see clear objects, everything seems to be blurry;
- feeling as if "stars", "flies" move before the eyes;
- the patient sees well objects that are far away, and objects that are close - sees poorly.
- a sick person breathes very hard (often or rarely vice versa);
- pale skin (sometimes even blue);
- very fast pulse;
- severe causeless shortness of breath.
When the disease begins to progress, it is possible that several types of symptoms are combined.
The patient experiences the following difficulty in swallowing:
- at first it is difficult to swallow solid food, after that it is also liquid;
- the tongue becomes wooden and clumsy;
- the small tongue is motionless.
Also, the patient has vision problems:
- he sees not one object, but two;
- squint is observed;
- it is very difficult for the patient to concentrate on one subject;
- the eyelids drop involuntarily.
Added to these symptoms are pronunciation problems.
Here are some of them:
- the voice is completely inaudible, this is due to violations in the vocal cords;
- the timbre changes and the pronunciation of sounds changes;
- discomfort in the throat and dryness in the oral mucosa.
If the disease is in progress, then it is difficult not to notice these signs:
- change in gait;
- muscles are very weak;
- the presence of a stool disorder, namely constipation;
- violation of urination;
- pale complexion;
Very rarely there are such signs of the disease: a person cannot smile in all teeth, constrained facial muscles, a convulsive sensation in the face. But for some reason the patient hears well, thinks clearly, the body temperature is normal.
At the last stage of the disease, there is a violation of the motor, muscular and skeletal systems, the person becomes like "dough". He absolutely cannot keep his head straight (she falls), he moves very little. Perhaps, a clear memory and consciousness will remain, but the patient stops moving and an attack of suffocation sets in, and this all ends in death.
What can threaten a person who has suffered from botulism poisoning, and if he was not prescribed proper treatment or did not seek help from the hospital in time:
- very often additional diseases (or complications against the background of a viral infection) are applied to the underlying disease: pneumonia, sepsis and inflammation of the bronchopulmonary tract;
- the development of complications of other vital organs is possible: the cardiovascular system, the musculoskeletal system;
- complications after treatment, there is a violation of the digestive tract and other diseases.
Experts have calculated and found that this disease lasts for about a month or a little less if the patient receives the right medications and procedures. All disorders in the human body are restored.
What are the reasons for botulism?
There are several reasons for contracting botulism - this is through food, through a cut, through inhalation of toxic substances and other forms. Below we will consider in more detail each reason.
The bacterium that causes this disease is anaerobic, which means that it thrives without oxygen. Botulinum toxin poisoning occurs when eating food contaminated with bacteria and their spores. Everyone knows that bacteria are able to form spores and spread them around into soil, water, and so on.
Food contamination occurs during conservation, since this is the most favorable, because anoxic, environment for these bacteria. Most often, those products that have not been processed by heat treatment are contaminated, this can also happen at home.
The acidic environment has practically no effect on the production of toxic elements (therefore, vinegar will not help). Only low temperatures combined with a salty and acidic environment can prevent bacteria from producing toxins.
Bolutoxin can be found in a variety of foods. Especially in canned vegetable salads. Raw smoked, dried and salted meat and fish products are very dangerous. If the manufacturer of any factory violates production standards, toxins will also be found there.
Through the wound
This form is very rare, since it has already been said that bacteria live in an oxygen-free environment, but it still happens. Spores penetrate into a person's wound, they pass through the bloodstream and begin to divide. At first, the symptoms are similar to those of poisoning. People who are at risk of getting sick from this form are drug addicts (through a needle).
This form only poses a threat to newborn babies, after reaching six seven months, the baby should not be afraid of any threat. After that, a natural defensive reaction develops. Young children can get this form if parents feed them foods that are not allowed before the age of one. A striking example of such a product is honey.
Symptoms in babies:
- the child does not cry, but wheezes;
- very weak;
- does not hold the head at all;
- does not want to eat, cannot swallow;
- bloating and alternating stools.
To prevent the child from contracting this disease, wet cleaning should be carried out every day, since dust is a potential threat to the child.
By inhaling toxins
Very rare. Inhalation of toxic poisons, under normal conditions, infection is impossible. Symptoms of the manifestation of the disease are the same as with the food type. The first signs begin within 2-3 days.
People are poisoned by harmful bacterial toxins due to the absorption of their own self-prepared canned preparations for the winter. Therefore, prevention must begin with this. Looking at a canned jar, one cannot understand that it is contaminated with harmful botulism toxins.
What you need to do first:
- all products that go into the blanks for the winter must be thoroughly cleaned of dirt and thoroughly washed from dust. Vegetables that grow in the ground need to be washed well and it is advisable to peel off the skin;
- utensils for preparations for the winter should be thoroughly rinsed, sterilized or boiled with boiling water while walking, then dried thoroughly;
- there is a list of foods that doctors do not recommend preserving at home. It is better not to make meat and fish stews, pickled mushrooms, herbs. But if you nevertheless took up this business, then all products should be fresh, and everything should be baked at 100 degrees
- old, overripe vegetables cannot be used;
- if you are cooking for your child, it is better not to be lazy and boil the food. Since children have weak immunity and they are more likely to be susceptible to infectious diseases;
- you need to follow all the rules for storing food;
- all swollen and cloudy cans are strictly forbidden to eat;
- you cannot buy canned food at the market “from grandmothers”, because you don’t know in what conditions it was prepared;
- if at least one family member is infected with this disease, the whole family should go to the hospital and take all necessary measures. You cannot use one dish, it is better to rinse it well with water and dishwashing detergents;
- and if you cut yourself, it is best to go to the hospital and disinfect the wound.
If a person treats symptoms similar to this disease, first they examine him and look at the necessary tests. If the diagnosis is confirmed, he is admitted to the infectious diseases department to avoid complications and the progress of the disease. Do not be afraid of patients with botulism, since the infection is not transmitted by airborne droplets.
Doctors look at the tests and prescribe the necessary treatment. In addition, the patient must follow a certain diet (this means that fatty meat and dishes saturated with spices cannot be eaten).
If the patient has respiratory system disorders, doctors take the necessary measures. Urinary problems and constipation may also occur. The necessary procedure is gastric lavage, if this happened at an early stage, so much the better for the patient.
At the first symptoms, you should consult a doctor. This infectious disease leads to dire consequences, there have been cases with fatal outcomes. Don't play with your health. Better to go to the hospital once again than to self-medicate.