Table of contents:
Video: Toxoplasmosis - Analysis For Toxoplasmosis And Interpretation Of Results
Last updated 21 June 2017 at 13:59
Reading time: 5 min
Parasitic disease in humans, which is caused by Toxoplasma gondii, in most cases, is completely asymptomatic. For a long time, many people do not even realize that they are carriers or carriers of the parasite. The immune system cannot always detect the invasion, as it develops in the cells.
The causes of inflammation or the occurrence of a severe exacerbation of a pathogenic microorganism is a weakening of the immune system, the period of bearing a child or HIV infection. In this case, it actively multiplies and destroys healthy cells.
- 1 Symptoms of toxoplasmosis
- 2 Enzyme immunoassay for toxoplasmosis
- 3 PCR analysis for toxoplasmosis
4 Tests for toxoplasmosis during pregnancy
4.1 Similar articles
Symptoms of toxoplasmosis
The easiest way to determine the disease is in pregnant women. Since they pass tests for toxoplasmosis and other infections at the beginning of gestation and before the onset of childbirth. This also applies to infants who can become infected during breastfeeding and intrauterine development. And they are also often diagnosed.
And what are the symptoms of toxoplasmosis in humans at the stage of exacerbation, when it can be easily suspected:
- fever, chills;
- an increase in temperature to an indicator of 37.5 ° C;
- visual enlargement of lymph nodes and liver;
- pneumonia, bronchitis;
- bowel disorder, diarrhea;
- retinal inflammation, blurred vision;
- allergic reactions on the skin surface;
- pain in muscles, joints;
- arrhythmia, myocardial damage;
- necrosis of tissues of internal organs;
- children develop strabismus, mental and physical development, dropsy of the brain, death.
For people with low immunity, such as HIV-infected, or depressed after the transplantation procedure, parasitic exposure is especially dangerous. Then, as an ordinary person, he can recover even without the use of drugs in 2 weeks.
It manifests itself in frequent changes in blood pressure, manifestations of epilepsy. In rare cases, it is this invasion that is indicated as the cause of schizophrenia.
Immunoassay blood test for toxoplasmosis
For an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for toxoplasmosis, an analysis of blood serum, ELISA, provides for the finding of protective proteins, antibodies.
If, when studying the initial chemical composition of the blood for toxoplasmosis, the decoding of the test results shows the value "norm", then the disease in the body passes without any special symptoms and exacerbations. The immune system deals with pathogenic microorganisms.
But there are other results of laboratory tests for toxoplasmosis using coloring enzymes:
- IgM and IgG are negative. The likelihood of infection is high. The body does not produce protective proteins. It is necessary to think about strengthening the immune system;
- IgM is negative, IgG is positive. There are protective antibodies. There is no risk for possible infection. Preventive prophylaxis is desirable;
- IgM is positive, IgG is negative. Primary stage of infection. Secondary or additional examination. If confirmed, wellness therapy is required;
- IgM and IgG are positive. Mandatory urgent treatment. Secondary penetration of infection. The possibility of aggravation.
This examination determines how the body is able to respond to the entry of toxic cells and foreign bodies into the blood. Sometimes in a chronic course, toxoplasmosis in humans may not appear. Or, after treatment, a false result indicates the presence of dead cells of the parasite.
PCR analysis for toxoplasmosis
Toxoplasma parasitizing the fetus is especially dangerous. It is impossible to predict the possible consequences and make a forecast.
If an invasion is suspected, it is required to immediately undergo diagnostics: an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, ELISA.
How to correctly decode a blood test for toxoplasmosis in a pregnant woman:
- IgM "-", IgG "-". The parasite species Toxoplasma gondii was not found. Possible infection, no antibodies. The need to undergo an examination every trimester of pregnancy;
- IgM "+", IgG "-". A short time after the initial infection. About 2 months from the date of infection. Additionally, PCR diagnostics for toxoplasmosis is prescribed. False result is possible;
- IgM "+", IgG "+". The infection occurred from 2 months to six months ago. An analysis of an IgG avidity test is prescribed;
- IgM "-", IgG "+". Latent stage of the course of the disease. In the body, a chronic asymptomatic infection process occurs. The presence of antibodies indicates that there is no danger to the fetus and mother.
It is the ability of the protective IgG proteins to resist foreign cells. In a healthy body with a good immune system, the avidity rate will be high.
Avidity analysis for toxoplasmosis and its decoding during pregnancy:
- more than 60. The course of a woman has a mild stage of the disease, a latent form of infection. Immunity is high. There is no reason for particular concern. In such cases, the child may also develop antibodies to the invasion;
- 40 to 60. False result. Re-examination is prescribed after 3 weeks;
- less than 40. The immune system is weak. Concomitant analysis of the polymerase chain reaction is required. An intensive but gentle treatment is required.
If an invasion is detected, it is necessary to start therapy no earlier than 16 weeks after the onset of the fertilization process, so as not to harm the course of pregnancy.
In case of an acute inflammatory process, artificial interruption of the bearing of a child is recommended. Otherwise, a worsening of the woman's condition and intrauterine fetal death are possible.