Table of contents:
Video: Blood Test - Interpretation Of A Blood Test For PLT, Indicators And Norm
Last updated 25 July 2017 at 14:33
Reading time: 4 minutes
The most common and at the same time the main study, which every specialist must assign to his patient, is a general blood test.
Since blood is one of the main indicators, there is any pathology in the body. This analysis includes several indicators and each shaped element has certain norms. Each indicator is responsible for certain processes in the body. If the results of the analysis are increased or decreased, then this may suggest what further actions should be taken.
In this article, you can find questions: what is plt in a blood test, what is the norm for plt, how changes in plt in the blood in children can affect the human body, how plt is deciphered.
- 1 Platelets what are they?
- 2 Blood test for plt
- 3 Deviation from the norm, what does it mean?
- 4 Plt in a child
5 Summing up
5.1 Similar articles
What is platelets?
Platelets are one of the constituents of blood; they are the smallest cells of various shapes and do not have nuclei. They perform very important functions in the body. They participate in the wound healing process (blood clotting), preventing large amounts of blood from being lost.
Platelets per day can change their number, especially in women. For example, in pregnant women and during critical days, the amount falls, and when exercising, on the contrary, it increases. This does not affect the state of the body in any way, when a person is in his usual state, they normalize.
There is no need to panic ahead of time, a highly qualified specialist should diagnose and examine the blood.
Blood test for plt
To determine how many platelets are in a blood test, the plt index is considered.
A person does not need to do something special, it is just advisable to come in the morning on an empty stomach and donate blood from a vein. A specialist takes blood in a sterile environment.
The normal platelet count ranges from 180-320 thousand / ml. If the decoding is above or below these limits, then some kind of failure has occurred in the body.
Deviation from the norm, what does it mean?
In children, platelets depend on how old the child is to be considered.
If a child is just born, just a baby, for him the normal level is 10-420 thousand / ml. If the child is not one more year old, then the norm is 150-350 thousand / ml. A child who is more than a year old is equated with an adult, therefore, the norm is 180-320 thousand / ml.
With a low level of platelets in children, or, as it is called, thrombocytopenia. There may be allergic symptoms to any medications prescribed to the child, as well as poisoning with them, or even infectious diseases.
If any parasites or viruses multiply in any organ of the child, the body will immediately react and the plt level will drop.
Every parent should know that if a child underwent an operation in which he was given a blood transfusion, then a low platelet count is not a pathology, but a normal reaction.
Do not forget about some rules that will save a child from possible bleeding.
You need to take care of it and avoid any injury injuries:
- all piercing objects must be hidden (needles, scissors, holes, forks);
- it is better not to buy sports equipment, such as roller skates, skis, bicycles, and protect the child from sports where he can get a lot of injuries (running, basketball, football);
- the bristles of the toothbrush should be as soft as possible;
- do not give coarse food, make sure that he chews everything thoroughly;
- if necessary, pick up a laxative with a doctor;
- the child is prohibited from taking medications that thin the blood;
- if, nevertheless, it was not possible to protect the child from injury, you need to immediately call an ambulance or take him to the hospital, but in no case try to eliminate the bleeding.
First, it may be a violation of the formation of bone marrow cells. Secondly, there is a change in the platelet itself, or rather in its structure. The reasons for this can be many factors, in order to determine this, a more complete study and the appointment of new analyzes are needed.
Here are some of them:
- malignant neoplasms (a tumor can occur anywhere from inflammation of the brain to sarcoma);
- with inflammatory liver disease or in the absence of an organ (spleen);
- anemia is a low content of blood cells (erythrocytes);
- with purulent infections, especially those that affect the bones;
- when using certain medications;
- with complicated bronchitis or other pulmonary inflammation and infections;
- with fracture of bones, especially long tubular bones.
From the above, it became clear that plt is the number of platelets in a blood test, and platelets are very important for the normal and proper functioning of our body.
The plt level in our blood is needed in order to detect various diseases in the early stages of development. For children, platelet count is much more important than for adults.
The norm depends on the age at which the child is, and an increase or decrease in the norm in one direction or another may indicate any change in the child's body.
It is very easy to check the level of platelets, you should come to a therapist and ask for a coupon for a general blood test, or independently undergo an analysis at any diagnostic center.