Table of contents:
- What is this pathogen?
- Reasons for detection
- Clinical picture
- Diagnostic procedures
- Healing activities
- The benefits of prevention
Last updated 4 November 2017 at 17:25
Reading time: 4 minutes
Sometimes, when taking tests, Staphylococcus aureus is detected in infants in the feces.
There are several reasons for the appearance of pathogenic microflora. But regardless of them, the active reproduction of this pathogen provokes the development of a serious disease.
Identification of a pathogen in children requires urgent treatment. This will allow you to quickly cope with the infection without consequences for the health of the nursing baby.
- 1 What is this pathogen?
- 2 Reasons for detection
- 3 Clinical picture
- 4 Diagnostic procedures
- 5 Treatment measures
- 6 Consequences
7 Benefits of prevention
7.1 Similar articles
What is this pathogen?
Staphylococcus aureus (the second name is Staphylococcus aureus) is a type of bacteria of a number of staphylococcal bacteria that cause various diseases.
This pathogen is the most dangerous for humans in comparison with others in this group. By producing a toxic substance that negatively affects the functioning of the whole organism, Staphylococcus aureus causes pathologies in the work of various organs.
The disease develops when the titer of the pathogen exceeds the permissible safe amount. In order to avoid staphylococcus in the feces of an infant, parents should know about preventive measures.
Reasons for detection
Among the main factors contributing to the appearance of Staphylococcus aureus in the feces of infants, there are reduced immunity and the lack of full hygienic care on the part of adults.
After birth, the baby is faced with the external environment and many of its influencing agents. It takes time to develop a strong immune system.
Therefore, it is so important to have full breastfeeding, adherence to hygiene measures on the part of the mother, and good care of the baby. In the absence of at least one of the moments or with some negligence of adults, the child can become infected with pathogenic microflora, leading to the development of an infectious process.
A dangerous period for a developing organism comes when the child pulls everything into his mouth. Various objects become the source of the pathogen.
In a newborn, the appearance of Staphylococcus aureus in the feces is associated with:
- the occurrence of pathologies during pregnancy;
- difficult labor activity;
- prolonged stay without amniotic fluid at birth;
- premature birth;
- low level of body defenses;
- lack or insufficient implementation of hygiene measures;
- the presence of staphylococcal infection in the mother's body;
- non-observance of safety rules by employees of the maternity hospital.
The presence of pathogenic microflora in children does not always cause the development of the corresponding disease.
You should be attentive to the appearance of the following symptoms in the baby:
- temperature increase;
- the appearance of unreasonable whims;
- poor sleep;
- loss of appetite;
- stool change;
- the appearance of a runny nose and cough;
- an inflammatory process affecting the mucous tissues of the eyes;
- the appearance of severe swelling;
- hives-type skin rash;
- signs of developing flu.
Parents should be aware that the clinical picture may differ from case to case. It all depends on the system that has come under the negative influence of pathogenic microflora. When the pathogen is activated in the intestine, a malfunction of the digestive system occurs.
If a nursing woman is worried about purulent mastitis, then she can become a source of infection for the child, so lactation should be abandoned.
Parents should be concerned about colds. Staphylococcus aureus is often disguised as ARVI. It should be remembered that immunity to the pathogen is not developed. Strict adherence to all doctor's orders is required to prevent re-infection.
When detecting deviations in the health of the child, parents should immediately contact the pediatrician. After interviewing and collecting complaints, the doctor prescribes a study of breast milk, secretions from the nasal cavity and feces of the baby.
When the pathogen is detected in breast milk, it is usually detected during fecal examination. This suggests a possible need for therapy for both the mother and the child. The presence of Staphylococcus aureus in feces is not always a sign of treatment.
The rate of microorganisms is on average 10 to 4 degrees. However, the negative impact of staphylococcus is determined by both its quantity and the general well-being of the child. In the presence of disturbances in the work of the digestive tract, skin, and other systems, not only preventive, but also therapeutic measures are necessary.
In some cases, parents, instead of going to a doctor, try to cure the child on their own.
It should be remembered that staphylococcal infection can cause complications in the form of:
- inflammatory processes of a purulent nature, affecting the skin and internal organs;
- diseases of the upper respiratory system (tonsillitis, otitis media) due to the development of pathogenic microflora on the mucous tissue of the nasopharynx;
- ostiomyelitis, when the pathology goes to bone tissue;
- pyelonephritis with localization of the pathogen in the kidneys;
- endocarditis with damage to the heart muscle.
A specific complication is determined by the defeat of one or another body system. In any case, the lack of therapeutic action is dangerous for the child's life.
The benefits of prevention
In the fight against the spread of staphylococcal infection, preventive measures are becoming important.
To prevent the development of an infectious process, it is important to observe the following recommendations:
- timely carry out hygiene procedures for the care of the baby;
- monitor the purity of fruits and vegetables before serving;
- timely handle damage to the skin (this also applies to proper care for the breast, nipples of a nursing mother);
- exclude or limit the presence of an infant in public places, especially if the baby is often sick;
- carefully monitor the mother's diet during the lactation period, exclude spoiled foods from the menu.
Any change in the well-being of an infant should be of concern to parents. If you suspect the development of an infection, you should not self-medicate and use treatment methods without specialist supervision.
Timely appeal to a pediatrician will avoid the development of negative consequences and relieve the baby of harmful microflora.