Table of contents:
- Causes of parasites in children
- What worms do children have
- Parasites in children: characteristic symptoms and signs
- Why are parasites in the child's body dangerous?
- How to identify worms in young children under one year old
- Analysis for worms in children
Last updated 22 August 2017 at 04:34 PM
Reading time: 6 minutes
To determine any disease in young children, or at least to find out the cause of a painful unhealthy condition, you will need your observation and the help of a specialist.
It is difficult to establish the exact symptoms of the disease just by how the child behaves. Often, children can instinctively be capricious or irritated for no apparent significant reason.
Parents should be alerted that problems have really appeared, there should be signs of an inflammatory infectious disease, which often indicates that the child may have worms.
- 1 Causes of parasites in children
- 2 What worms are in children
- 3 Parasites in children: characteristic symptoms and signs
- 4 What are the dangerous parasites in the child's body
- 5 How to identify worms in young children under one year old
6 Analysis for worms in children
6.1 Similar articles
Causes of parasites in children
Little researchers do not yet realize the harm that external influences, surrounding objects and microorganisms can cause them. And they live everywhere in nature. They do not attach much importance to the need to observe the rules of personal hygiene. That is why the ingress of parasites is more often observed in a baby than in an adult experienced person.
How does infection with worms occur in children:
- street animals. Love for the surrounding world and its representatives is inherent in babies. They touch with pleasure, pick up and even kiss cats and dogs, not thinking that they are affected by bacteria, worms and much more serious diseases;
- ordinary soil. Even playing in an ordinary sandbox or on a playground, picking up toys from the ground can cause worms in a child. Many representatives of helminths easily enter the body through the epidermis;
- water procedures. This can be regular visits to the pool, and visits to reservoirs;
- bites. Equally dangerous in this sense are mosquitoes and the same yard tetrapods. Parasites quickly enter directly into the circulatory system and quickly reach their potential habitat;
- lack of parental control. Here, the reason for the appearance of worms in children is careless young mothers and fathers. We must try to protect the child from dirty handrails, door handles, crowded places;
- poorly processed or substandard foods. Don't forget about thermal effects. This applies to both fruits and vegetables. Be wary of fermented milk products, seafood, eggs. They can be carriers of larvae.
- Teach your little one to the obligatory daily cleanliness of the body. Explain to him about the dangers and consequences of getting the parasites inside. Use clear, simple words. Talk about unpleasant painful treatments, but don't scare him.
What worms do children have
Most often, the appearance of helminths in a child occurs in spring or summer. It is during these periods that he spends more time walking. Of course, you should not get too hung up on cleanliness, but it is still necessary to wipe children's hands and watch what your baby is doing.
Most often, only a few worms are observed in a child:
- pinworms. A clear representative of the parasite that enters the intestines through dirty unwashed hands and food. It is quite easy to recognize them. Watch out for feces. The parasites are white in color, ranging in size from 2 to 12 cm;
- roundworm. Larger ones. Up to half a meter. Common poorly processed fruits and vegetables can be the cause;
- lamblia. They can exist in raw polluted or poorly boiled water, poor-quality food, and often parasitize animals;
- whipworms. A very dangerous representative of helminthic invasion in children, since it has a toxic effect and causes serious illness.
Parasites in children: characteristic symptoms and signs
The baby cannot independently determine the problems or health problems. The child does not yet have sufficient experience to describe how he feels or talk about the types of pain.
In young children, you will have to look for all the signs and symptoms of the possible presence of helminths on their own, by observation:
- itching in the anal area. The child constantly tries to eliminate it, itches, straightens his underwear;
- restless restless sleep, audible grinding of teeth is possible;
- involuntary urination during sleep. Problems are observed mainly in young girls. Signs of acute recurrent cystitis;
- lethargy, weakness, symptoms of the inflammatory process;
- vomiting, pain in the abdomen or navel;
- frequent diarrhea or prolonged constipation;
- lack of desire to eat or increased appetite.
Here's how to easily find out at home that your beloved child has worms using these symptoms. But if you are not sure what caused these signs, contact, in any case, an experienced pediatrician.
Why are parasites in the child's body dangerous?
Few of parents and adult experienced people see in worms a real existing danger not only for health, but also for the life of young children.
If you do not receive qualified medical care in time, worms in a child can lead to serious consequences:
- a sharp decrease in immunity. Some types of helminths cause the inability to fully receive or absorb the necessary vitamins and elements by cells;
- dysbiosis. Since the main habitat of parasites is mainly considered to be the large and small intestines, it is natural that the disturbances will sway exactly its work. Failure to perform its functions leads to diarrhea, dehydration;
- diseases of the nasopharynx. Sinusitis, polyps, adenoids;
- lack of vitamin B12. As a result, brittle hair and nails are observed;
- gynecological diseases. Vaginitis, inflammation of the fallopian tubes, ovaries. The prolonged process of helminthic invasion in children can even cause infectious sexually transmitted diseases;
- frequent flatulence, bloating;
- allergic and other dermatological problems;
- bronchial spasms, asthma and even choking.
Helminthiasis in children - is the name given to a serious disease that develops against the backdrop of falling, both in children and adult organism parasitic worms, worms.
How to identify worms in young children under one year old
Older children, adolescents can still describe the deterioration of their condition, or at least show where and what hurts. And how to check and find out if little crumbs have worms.
You don't have to have many children to become good parents. You need to listen to the advice of older and more experienced people, learn to understand your child and constantly observe the changes that occur to him.
This applies not only to its development. You should know exactly everything about your baby's health:
- a certain weight and height;
- the required amount of food intake;
- the frequency of visiting the toilet room;
- psychological state in different situations;
- possible allergic rashes.
How to determine the disease in this case:
- watch out for feces. Often it is they who will help identify worms in young children;
- the appearance of vomiting; diarrhea or constipation, bloating. If the child is constantly crying and naughty, determine the amount and consistency of excreted feces. Check with your doctor;
- Examine your skin for rashes, redness, or irritation
- Calculate the approximate sleep and wake times. Get expert advice on the appropriateness of these conditions for the child's age;
- profuse salivation. If this is not a teething period, then your baby may have worms.
Analysis for worms in children
Conscientious experienced parents, naturally, do not disregard the health of their child. They constantly monitor the changes that occur to him. Any unnatural manifesting sign of a possible illness is already causing them concern.
In all children, without exception, symptoms suggesting the presence of worms also appear quite clearly. With the help of several tests, which can be carried out in any clinic or private office, it will not be difficult to identify helminthiasis.
Consider what examination for worms modern medicine offers:
- traditional stool analysis. Determines the presence of almost all parasites in the body. It is also known as an analysis for eggs of helminths, worms. Feces are placed in a special glass container in advance and transferred to the laboratory. For an accurate result, re-passage is recommended;
- smear or scraping. It mainly helps to recognize if the child has pinworms. The process of taking material in the anal area is carried out using a cotton swab or small spatula. The parasites will appear at night, since it is at this time that they begin to lay eggs. Therefore, the procedure is prescribed in the morning;
- more accurate results for the presence of helminthic invasion in children, ascariasis will show blood sampling for antibodies;
- to establish a disease caused by flatworms, opisthorchiasis, by a special test for IgG antibodies in the blood.
If after the examination all the symptoms have been confirmed and your baby has worms, start treatment. An experienced qualified doctor will help with this. Individually prescribed drugs will quickly relieve your baby of helminthiasis and its consequences.