Table of contents:
- Infection routes
- Treatment of giardiasis disease
- Prevention of infection with Giardia
- Consequences of the disease
Video: Giardiasis In Adults - Symptoms And Treatment Of Giardiasis With Drugs
2023 Author: Riley Dean | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-27 09:15
Last updated 3 July 2017 at 17:58
Reading time: 5 min
Giardiasis (also known as giardiasis) is a widespread infection caused by the intestinal parasite Giardia, which disrupts the normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
The causative agents of this disease exist in two forms, namely: cysts (looks like a pear and has two nuclei and four pairs of flagella) and trophozoids (has an oval shape and four nuclei).
The first days of infection pass without a trace, pronounced symptoms of giardiasis in adults are not observed.
It is important to note the existence of several forms of giardiasis, such as:
- Giardia is not sick, does not show signs of illness, but is an active producer and distributor of lamblia in the body. Thus, more than one million individuals can live on one square centimeter of the small intestine;
- intestinal form, with this form, the infected person has a dysfunction of the intestines. Symptoms of this form are: nausea, impaired appetite, bloating;
- hepatobiliary - in the presence of this form of the disease, the patient's liver and biliary tract functions are impaired. Signs are such signals as: heaviness in the right rib area, soreness, "fake" symptoms of gastritis or pancreatitis.
- 1 Ways of infection
- 2 Development of giardiasis
- 3 Symptoms
- 4 Diagnostics
- 5 Treatment of giardiasis disease
- 6 Prevention of infection with Giardia
7 Consequences of the disease
7.1 Similar articles
When the worms enter the gastrointestinal tract, reaching the small intestine, they begin to multiply actively.
Possessing special suction cups, they cling to the mucous membrane. This has a detrimental effect on digestion, fat absorption, and metabolism. Too active reproduction can cause irritation of the mucous membrane.
What causes pain in the navel area or in the upper abdomen and dyspeptic disorders such as: nausea, vomiting, constipation, alternating with loosening of the stool, stool may be yellowish, have mucus.
Many experts call this ailment the "Parasite of Tosca and Sorrow", because of this, the disease in some cases manifests itself in tearfulness, irritability and low mood. But as mentioned earlier, it is rather difficult to diagnose the presence of the disease due to the absence of obvious symptoms, this "latent" period lasts up to almost four weeks.
But if you suddenly notice that the signals listed below began to appear for no reason, you should think about visiting an infectious disease doctor, except for him you can be consulted by a gastroenterologist.
Symptoms that will help identify giardiasis in adults:
- lack of appetite or drastic weight loss;
- dryness or pallor of the skin, manifestation of a rash. Sometimes there is "multi-colored skin", characterized by uneven redness of different areas with a yellow tint;
- nervous disorders, insomnia, strange dreams;
- excessive aggression, irritability, anxiety;
- a feeling of bitterness in the mouth;
- frequent constipation followed by diarrhea;
- pain in the navel;
Symptoms such as: anemia, palpitations, joint pain, dizziness, inflammation of the eyelids, fever are sometimes found with giardiasis and disappear only after the end of treatment.
There are several main medical ways to diagnose giardiasis in adults, for example:
- The analysis of feces, due to the incubation period, may not be able to determine the presence of parasites the first time, so the analysis is carried out twice with an interval of a week or one and a half.
- Intertest is almost similar to the first method. The examination is based on swallowing a certain gelatin capsule with a piece of rope inside. If it enters the stomach, the capsule will dissolve, and the lamblia should cling to the same rope and come out with the feces. Microscopic examination determines the presence of parasites.
- A biopsy is an analysis based on the removal of a small piece of tissue from the stomach wall to check for cysts.
Treatment of giardiasis disease
Treatment should be carried out in an integrated manner and in several stages.
The first stage lasts no more than a week and a half and includes:
Compliance with a strict diet based on the use of food that maintains an acidic environment, which is very unfavorable for the development of parasites.
In turn, it is worth giving up flour products, sweets, soda, fatty food, due to the fact that all this greatly irritates the gastrointestinal tract.
The diet should be followed in order to worsen reproduction, improve the outflow of bile, remove interfering signs of giardiasis in adults
The second stage is based on the use of antiparasitic drugs:
- Metronidazole 400 milligrams three times a day for ten days.
- Fazizin Half a tablet (0.5 grams) four times a day. Albendazole 0.4 grams once a day for five days.
- MacMiror at 30 milligrams per kilogram of your weight in two doses.
- Furazolidone 2-3 tablets after meals for ten days.
- Ornidazole 3 tablets before bed, or one tablet every 12 hours, three times a week.
Folk remedies include: tincture of walnuts, carrot and birch sap. Treatment with onions, garlic, red pepper, etc. is also perfect, but they should not be abused, due to the fact that acute irritation of the stomach.
All of these products do an excellent job of creating unfavorable breeding conditions.
Prevention of infection with Giardia
What rules should be followed:
- for drinking and washing dishes, fruits, clothes and personal hygiene items, only well-purified water;
- for pet owners, make it a rule to carry out anthelmintic and anti-lambliasis treatments at least twice a year;
- strictly observe the rules of personal hygiene;
- sometimes attend medical examinations with special doctors;
- do not swim in unknown waters Refuse food on the street (ice cream, pies, shawarma, kebabs, etc.);
- do not allow children to play in sandboxes or on the ground;
- control of vectors (flies, cockroaches, bedbugs, rats, etc.);
- avoid contact with patients;
- regular preventive checks of medical personnel and workers of food and water supply.
Consequences of the disease
As a rule, with this disease, damage to any organs does not occur, but if treatment is not started in a timely manner, chronic digestive failure and intestinal dysfunction will begin to develop. It also weakens the intestines, which undoubtedly allows other infections to enter your body.
Giardia in adults disrupt the metabolic process of the body, which often contributes to the development of allergies, they also mechanically irritate and block the mucous membrane of the duodenum, because of which the food is not digested, but rotted.
Such "experiments" and attempts will not bring any success. During this period of time, parasitic organisms will actively develop and multiply, which, of course, will only make you worse!
Giardiasis is too serious a disease to self-medicate. Take care of your health and seek medical attention from doctors in time!
Last updated 23 June 2020 at 08:23 PMReading time: 5 minGiardiasis is one of the most common infections caused by the ingestion of parasites of the flagellate class into the human body.These organisms, getting into the intestines, begin to multiply actively and release toxins into the bloodstream
Modern drugs are presented in the form of suppositories, suspensions, the most common form are pinworm tablets for adults and children
Page contentTreatment of worms in adultsTreatment of worms in childrenTreatment of worms with folk remediesTreatment of worms during pregnancyYou can defeat parasites!Helminthiasis is the most common disease that is caused by infection with worms
Page contentSymptoms of enterobiasis in adultsTreatment of enterobiasis in adults with medicationsTreatment of enterobiasis with folk remediesFeatures of the treatment of enterobiasis in adultsYou can defeat parasites!Intestinal enterobiasis is one of the most common diseases caused by helminths (worms)
Page contentEffective pinworm pills for adultsThe best pinworm pills for childrenPinworm pills for preventionPinworm pills for a nursing motherYou can defeat parasites!Enterobiasis is a common parasitic infection that many adults and children face