Table of contents:
- What harm do worms do to a cat's body
- Symptoms of a cat worm infection
- How and when to give anthelmintics to your cat
- Worm control products for cats
- The best antihelminthic drugs for cats
- Indications for the use of anthelminthic drugs in cats
- Side effects of anthelmintic drugs in cats
- Folk remedies for worms for cats
- Prevention of worms in cats
Video: Tablets For Worms For Cats - Description Of Drugs
Tablets for worms for cats. Parasitic diseases are dangerous in that they can damage both the health of the animal and the health of humans. Remedies for worms for cats in a wide range are presented in veterinary stores, as a rule, they have a therapeutic or prophylactic effect.
Deworming is a set of measures aimed at ridding the animal's body of worms. In everyday life, this process is simply called "worms".
Deworming can be prophylactic or curative. Prevention of worms is an indispensable measure to prevent infection with worms. Preventive measures should be carried out regularly. With medical deworming, the situation is a little more complicated, because it can be difficult to determine the signs of worms in a cat or kitten.
The danger of helminths is that these parasites seriously harm the animal, in the process of their vital activity absorbing nutrients and poisoning it with wastes that are formed as a result of their reproduction. Anthelmintics are essential for your four-legged friend to help him fight off parasites that destroy his immune system.
If you do not start giving your pet a medicine for worms for cats and dogs in time, then over time, serious diseases will begin to develop, which can even be fatal. To protect your pet from such problems, you need to constantly monitor the behavior of the animal.
If you notice a sharp decrease in activity, vomiting, or upset stools, it is best to contact your veterinarian. The specialist will make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe an effective treatment. At the same time, do not forget that antihelminthic drugs for cats and dogs must also be used as a prophylactic agent. Optimally, every three months.
The content of the article:
- 1 What harm do worms do to a cat's body
- 2 Symptoms of a cat worm infection
- 3 How and when to give anthelmintics to a cat
- 4 Means for fighting helminths for cats
- 5 Best Antihelminthic Drugs for Cats
- 6 Indications for the use of anthelmintic drugs in cats
- 7 Side effects of anthelmintic drugs in cats
- 8 Folk remedies for worms for cats
- 9 Prevention of worms in cats
What harm do worms do to a cat's body
Tablets for worms for cats. Parasites try to find a host in order to feed on his blood, secretions or body tissues. For this reason alone, the presence of worms is very dangerous for a cat. Helminths deplete the body, suppress immunity, mechanically damage internal organs.
The vital activity of all worms is associated with the release of toxic substances that poison the animal's body. Also, the intoxication of the body is caused by substances that are released during the decomposition of the bodies of dead worms. Parasites often cause allergic reactions.
Helminths can pose a threat not only to the health, but also to the life of a cat. Damage to internal organs and blood vessels caused by parasites can rupture. The risk of intestinal obstruction is especially great. Often, helminths multiply to such an extent that they clog the intestinal lumen with the mass of their bodies. This leads to the painful death of the animal.
Internal parasites of animals pose a danger to humans. Many types of worms feel great, both in the body of a cat and a person. For others, the cat can be an intermediate host on the way to the human body. Therefore, the prevention of parasitic diseases in pets is mandatory. Helminths are especially dangerous for young children. They are most likely to get infected from a pet.
Parasitizing in the cat's body, worms cause significant harm to its health.
Tablets for worms for cats. General conclusions of the harm of worms in cats:
- mechanical damage: parasites are attached to the organs and tissues of the animal with the help of suckers and damage their integrity. Helminths, parasitizing in the gastrointestinal tract, injure the mucous membrane and cause punctate bleeding and necrosis. A large accumulation of worms leads to blockage of the intestine, which leads to its rupture and rapid death of the cat;
- toxic and allergic effects: in the course of their vital activity, parasites secrete secrets that are poisonous to the animal's body. Dead helminths decompose, which leads to intoxication and often causes allergic reactions;
- trophic effect: helminths consume blood, digestive juices, mucus as food. At the same time, they assimilate vitamins, macro- and microelements, hormones, enzymes of their host. Therefore, a cat infected with worms is deficient in essential nutrients;
- decreased immune defense: through the tissues injured by helminths, pathogenic bacteria penetrate, and inflammatory processes develop. Helminthiasis complicate the course of infectious diseases;
- dysbiosis: intestinal parasites disrupt the activity of beneficial microorganisms and contribute to the development of putrefactive. This disrupts the process of digestion and metabolism in an infected animal.
Symptoms of a cat worm infection
Worms are localized in various internal organs: liver, intestines, lungs, heart. At the same time, quite often, helminthic invasions in cats are asymptomatic, gradually destroying the body of furry pets.
Tablets for worms for cats. It should be noted that internal parasites of animals can be dangerous to humans, especially for small children who are constantly in contact with their beloved cat.
Symptoms of helminthic invasions in cats are manifested:
- decrease or vice versa increase in appetite;
- frequent constipation followed by diarrhea;
- deterioration in the condition of the coat;
- discharge from the eyes, nose;
- allergic reactions, dermatoses;
- shortness of breath, heart rhythm disturbances;
- anemicity, yellowness of the mucous membranes;
- lethargy, apathy, drowsiness;
- profuse salivation;
- nausea, vomiting, especially after eating.
Helminths pose a danger not only to health, but also to the life of cats. The intensity of the manifestation of symptoms during infection with worms depends on the age, state of the immune system, localization of endoparasites in the body of cats.
In the case of severe intoxication, disturbances in the work of the peripheral, central system are possible, which leads to paralysis, paresis, and muscle spasms.
Cat owners should be alerted if mucus, blood clots, blotches are present in the feces, vomit. Coughing, sneezing, shortness of breath, a sharp decrease in body weight with a good appetite can also indicate a cat infection with worms. Little kittens are lagging behind in development, are inactive, refuse outdoor games, get tired quickly.
How and when to give anthelmintics to your cat
Tablets for worms for cats. It is best to give cats an anthelmintic in the morning on an empty stomach, about 40-60 minutes before the main meal. The medicine, regardless of the form of release, can be mixed with feed, your favorite feed. It is permissible for kittens to dissolve the anthelmintic in milk.
Tablets for worms are placed on the root of the tongue, opening the pet's mouth wide open, or crushed into powder that can be dissolved in water, and then poured into the cheek with a syringe without playing. You can also mix the medicine with the main food. A conditioned swallowing reflex will work in the cat, and it will quickly swallow the “medicinal treat”.
Before giving the cat an antihelminthic agent, be sure to read the instructions, strictly adhering to the dosage indicated in the annotation. This will help avoid side effects. Make sure the anthelmintic you choose is appropriate for your pet's age. The dosage is calculated based on the weight of the animals.
Before deworming for five to seven days, it is necessary to treat the fur coat of a fluffy pet from ectoparasites. Fleas, lice, other parasitic insects that live on the body of cats are carriers of larvae, eggs of worms. Worming cats is also necessary a month before vaccination, revaccination, before scheduled mating.
If a pregnant cat is diagnosed with helminthic infestation, anthelminthic drugs are given at a minimum concentration 15-20 days before the expected date of birth. Anthelmintics should be used, the instructions for which indicate that they can be given to animals carrying offspring, as well as lactating cats. For example, Milbemax, Beheldon.
At the initial stages of pregnancy, it is not recommended for fluffy pets to worm, as this can lead to a violation of the intrauterine development of the fetus, provoke spontaneous miscarriages. After the birth of kittens, when the babies are three to four weeks old, if the cat has been infected with endoparasites, be sure to give the kittens an antihelminthic suspension.
After deworming, carefully monitor the condition of the pet for two to three days. After deworming, kittens should be given any sorbent (activated carbon, Enterosgel) after five to six days.
Worm control products for cats
Tablets for worms for cats. Modern drugs to combat worms, as a rule, have a complex effect, that is, they affect most types of worms. This allows them to be used not only for treatment, but also for the prevention of worms. It is recommended to carry out preventive deworming of the animal every three months.
There are 5 basic forms of drugs for helminths in cats: paste; suspension; pills; drops on the withers.
The first three types of drugs are intended for oral oral use. Some oral preparations taste like meat or fish to make them easier for animals to take. In fact, it is not so easy to feed a cat with pills.
In this respect, the suspension is more preferable, because it can be injected into the animal's throat using a special syringe. Some tablets can also be crushed and dissolved in water before taking. The paste can usually be mixed with animal feed. However, oral medications are recommended to be taken on an empty stomach, some time before meals. The composition of oral preparations depends little on their form.
Drops on the withers are more convenient for the owner of the animal. It is enough to apply one or several pipettes to the skin in order to achieve not only the death of existing worms, but also a long prophylactic effect.
The best antihelminthic drugs for cats
Tablets for worms for cats. There is a large selection of domestic, foreign veterinary antihelminthic drugs that are used to treat and prevent helminthiasis in cats. The most popular, effective anthelmintics for cats are: Drontal; Prazicide; Piperazine; Profender; Stronghold; Milbenmicin oxy; Kaniquantel; Naphtamon; Cestal Ket; Polyvercan; Prazitel; Fenbendazole; Febtal; Milbemax; Suspension Dirafen.
Polivercan: is a complex anthelmintic agent for cats in the form of "sugar cubes" of light yellow color, which quickly dissolve in water. One cube is designed for 10 kg of animal body weight. As a preventive measure, Polivercan is given to cats with razlovka. In the case of severe helminthic invasion, after ten days, it is worth repeating the drug intake;
- Prazitel: A versatile, non-toxic product that can be purchased in tablet or suspension form. The drug has a complex effect, is effective against trematodes, cestodes, nematodes. Completely excreted from the body after 24 hours;
- Cestal Ket is a modern Hungarian complex anthelmintic drug for cats. The dosage is calculated as follows: one tablet per four kilograms of animal body weight. As a preventive measure, the drug is given to cats every three to five months. With helminthic invasion - one tablet twice with an interval of two weeks;
Profender: it is produced in the form of a solution that is applied drip (topically) to the skin of a pet between the shoulder blades (at the withers) or in the neck area, since in these places the cat cannot lick the drug. The package contains two pipettes of 0.35, 0.7, 1.12 ml. Can be used for small kittens from eight weeks of age. The active ingredients are praziquantel, emodepsid. Do not use for deworming exhausted, weakened animals, as well as if the cat is sick with infectious, viral diseases;
Tablets for worms for cats - Drontal ("Drontal plus"): a very effective broad-spectrum anthelmintic. Quickly affects all types of helminths. Available in the form of ellipsoid tablets. Active components destroy the shell of worms, prevent their reproduction, cause the death of endoparasites. The dosage of tablets is calculated per kilogram of animal weight. Not recommended for kittens up to four weeks of age;
- Prazicide: Available in suspension form. Has a pronounced therapeutic effect against larvae, sexually mature parasitic worms. Destroys endoparasites at all stages of their development. Anthelmintic is effective against tape, round worms. The kit includes a special syringe dispenser for oral administration. Can be applied to the root of the tongue, mixed with food, water;
- Caniquantel: an antihelminthic drug in the form of tablets. For cats, it is enough to give ½ tablet at one time;
Milbemax: a complex anthelmintic that is produced separately for adult cats and small kittens. The French drug is similar in its mechanism of action and effectiveness to the domestic Drontal. Anthelmintic is not recommended for kittens under six weeks of age;
Febtal: Russian tabletted anthelminthic drug with a pleasant taste and smell for cats. Dosage: one tablet per three kilograms of animal body weight. Tablets are recommended to be crushed into powder, mixed with food or a favorite treat one hour before morning feeding. Febtal is non-toxic to animals, practically has no side effects. For kittens, you can purchase an anthelmintic in suspension (Febtal-combo). Calculation: 1 ml per kg of weight. Shake well before use
- Naphtamon: an antihelminthic tablet drug that has proven itself in the fight against toxocaras, nematodes, cestodes. Kills helminths at all stages of their development. The only thing worth noting is that the drug is not recommended to be given to animals with chronic liver pathologies;
- Tablets for worms for cats - Suspension Dirafen: an effective, completely non-toxic agent for the prevention and treatment of helminthiasis in small kittens. An anthelmintic can be given to babies from three weeks of age;
The frequency of preventive deworming depends on the age of the cat. For the prevention of kittens, young animals up to a year, anthelmintic drugs should be given every three to four months. For older cats - every six months.
In addition, you need to take into account the pet's diet. If the cat is kept on a natural diet, consumes raw sea, river fish, meat, offal, anthelmintics should be given once every four months.
If the pet is kept on ready-made industrial dry, concentrated feed, preventive deworming can be performed every six to seven months.
Indications for the use of anthelminthic drugs in cats
Tablets for worms for cats. Deworming for therapeutic, prophylactic purposes, despite the large selection of anthelmintic drugs, is not recommended for sick, weakened animals, cats diagnosed with chronic viral, bacterial infections.
As already noted, you should not give cats antihelminthic drugs in early pregnancy, kittens under three weeks of age, animals weighing less than a kilogram.
The choice of anthelmintic drugs should be approached with special attention if animals have increased hypersensitivity to drugs, functional disorders of the liver, urinary tract.
Side effects of anthelmintic drugs in cats
Despite the effectiveness of anthelmintic drugs for cats, in case of an overdose, anthelmintics can provoke side effects, among which are:
- lethargy, drowsiness;
- refusal to feed, violation of digestive processes;
- vomiting, nausea;
- manifestation of allergic reactions (dermatoses, dermatitis);
- profuse diarrhea;
- temperature increase.
Side effects depend on the level of toxicity of the anthelmintic drug, age, general physiological state of animals, and the degree of helminthic invasion.
It should not be ruled out that cats, especially high-bred cats, may develop individual intolerance to the active components of antihelminthic agents. Therefore, when choosing an anthelmintic for treatment, prevention of helminthiasis, be sure to consult with a veterinarian.
Tablets for worms for cats. As a rule, side effects after deworming in cats disappear spontaneously on the second or third day. If side symptoms appear for more than two days, urgently contact a veterinarian, take the cat to a veterinary clinic. To neutralize intoxication after taking anthelmintic drugs will help washing the stomach, intestines, the introduction of physiological solutions (droppers), sorbents.
Folk remedies for worms for cats
Attention, these folk remedies are presented in the article solely for information.
- a decoction of chamomile or fennel to drink instead of water;
- cut onions into 4 parts and pour a glass of warm boiled water. Give this water to the cat in the morning on an empty stomach for 7 days;
- common tansy. Pour 1 tablespoon of flowers with a glass of boiling water and leave for 1 hour, then strain. Give the cat this infusion 2-3 times a day, then feed it no earlier than 30-60 minutes;
- alcohol tincture of wormwood is applied 10 drops 2 times a day. Feed the cat no earlier than 30-60 minutes;
- enemas of carrot juice (20 ml) once a day for a week.
Prevention of worms in cats
Tablets for worms for cats. The disease is easier to prevent than to treat, and therefore, in order to minimize the risk of your cat getting helminths, we do the following:
- preventive use of antiparasitic agents for fleas, ticks, worms once every 3 months. First, we apply the means against fleas, after 3 days - against worms;
- do not feed the animal with raw meat, drink only boiled / settled water;
- avoid contact with street animals;
- regularly carry out antiparasitic treatment of the cat's place, scratching posts. Keep cat care items clean;
- regularly clean the house / apartment.
Find out more:
- Worms in cats: symptoms, treatment, prevention
- Worms in cats: signs, symptoms, treatment and medications
- Worms in a cat: symptoms, diagnosis, drug treatment